Dangers of procrastination

Why procrastination is bad and how to avoid it

JUST DO IT: The most effective way to deal with procrastination is to do an assignment right away. Putting off an assignment until the last minute puts grades in danger.

Photo by CC/BY Vic

Photo by CC/BY Vic

by Gavin Young, Staff Writer

As the first quarter of the school year hits the halfway mark, students should still be working to their full ability. Students may tend to lay back a little once they see good progress reports. However, this could lead towards procrastination, which is something a student should never do.

There are many reason why procrastination is never a choice regarding school work. If a student waits until the last second to complete an assignment, almost every time the completed work is not reflective of the student’s ability. If someone procrastinates on schoolwork, they normally feel stress free. But, when they wait until the last second stress and panic begin to set in and everything goes downhill from there. 

While homework is dangerous to procrastinate on, it is not as detrimental as putting off projects and essays that are assigned weeks before they are due. It’s not very common for a student to start on something right away. While some may feel that waiting until the last minute motivates them to do well, procrastinating on something as major as a project or essay is the worst way to tackle that assignment.

“Procrastination never has a good end, you could be like me and end up recording a history video project in the back of my truck in the school parking lot before the day it was due,” said senior Ryan Warren

Avoiding procrastination is a lot easier than people think it is. The easiest way to avoid this is to start doing work right away, and then divide the work into pieces. Working on homework, projects, and essays each day helps out a lot.