Filed under opinion, uncategorized

Balancing athletics, academics

BALANCING ACT: Many students stress about the many pressures that academics and sports bring. These pressures can begin to affect grades or performances.

Photo by CC/BY Brendan Quealy

Photo by CC/BY Brendan Quealy

The daily grind of “breakfast, school, practice, dinner, homework, sleep, repeat” is a common story for many in-season student athletes.

Constantly rushing from place to place is something that lasts for months on end. Many students can get discouraged and find themselves filled with a lot of anxiety during their season. The endless cycle can seem to be never ending. Luckily, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Most students fail to realize that once high school ends, so does a lot of stress. College is stressful, but for many it is not in the sense of balancing academic and sporting challenges.

A majority of the student body graduating this year will not go on to play collegiate sports. This in turn opens up a lot of time to focus on academics.

However, until then, the rest of us are stuck in high school. Some Rebel students who have experience balancing extracurriculars and academics have developed tips on how to fix some of the stress or cope with pressure. Senior Heather Lezon has been able to balance both school and volleyball throughout her four years at Roncalli, and has learned a valuable lesson regarding schoolwork.

“Go straight from practice to home [and do your homework]. Do it right away because it won’t get done,” said Lezon.

Another volleyball player, junior Victoria Annee, has also come to a realization about school throughout her high school career.

“Younger classmen fail to realize that a lot of homework can be done at school. For most students, as long as you don’t have an eight period day, you have plenty of free time at school,” said Annee.

Even if a student does all their work at school, that doesn’t leave a ton of time to socialize between 7:30 and 3:00.

As most students have realized, between school and sports, time is very scarce. Any extra time should be spent on homework to maximize time management.