Filed under sports, uncategorized

Effort means everything

The Rebel wrestling season is in full swing and the wrestlers seem to be doing great.

TOUGH COMPETITOR: Alec Viduya uses all his effort to try to pin Jarrod Shanley to the ground. Viduya competed at a meet held at Roncalli.

Photo by Joe Schroeder

Photo by Joe Schroeder

The Rebel wrestlers are off to a great start this season. With six, soon to leave seniors and seven, new, incoming freshman, there is great old and new talent this season.

First year Coach, Wade McClurg has helped the Rebels through multiple wins, already, without even being halfway through the season.

The Rebel wrestlers have recently had two meets, one being the Connersville Spartan Classic and the other was a dual meet against Cathedral.

The wrestlers showed off their talent at Connersville Spartan Classic, taking home second place out of 32 teams, only losing to Carmel by 15.5 points. Alec Viduya won first place and continues to hold his record of 6-0. Coach McClurg along with the staff and fan base couldn’t be more proud of the wrestling results.

“Winning the Connersville Spartan Classic was great! The support from my coaches and teammates was the best part,” said Viduya.

“The 10 days of hard training the boys put in over winter break was impressive, and their hard work paid off at Connersville. The Connersville Spartan Classic is always a tough tournament for a multitude of reasons:  weigh in two days, travel, stay in a hotel, 32 teams, wrestle 5-8 matches in 2 days, et cetera,” said McClurg.

The Varsity Wrestlers lost to Cathedral on CYO night 41-27. The Rebels had two individual winners representing JV and six individual winners representing Varsity.

“We are currently ranked 16th in the State, and Cathedral is ranked 8th in the State. We had our CYO night and there were a lot of fans in the stands, just an absolute great atmosphere,” said McClurg.

The Rebel wrestlers’ most recent win was against New Palestine last weekend, taking home the title of team champions with a score of 216

“This event will dictate a lot of things for the upcoming Sectional in a few weeks. Since day one this team has been resilient, they continue to go to work and keep getting better every week,” said McClurg before the win at New Palestine.

Fourteen wrestlers were awarded individual accomplishments. Of those fourteen, five were champions, three got third, three got fourth, 2 were fifth, and one was seventh. Each of these Rebels scored team points that contributed to the wrestlers’ success. With this kind of effort put in by the rebels, their season should continue to look up.
“We preach to the boys about effort all the time.  We don’t look into wins and losses, as much as we look into your effort every time out,” said McClurg.