Filed under opinion, uncategorized

Ride the Vaporwave

A look into the underrated and unique techno genre.

RELAXATION: Vaporwave establishes itself as unique due to its art and music. The genre gives off relaxing and electronic vibes.

Photo by CC/BY Wikimedia

Photo by CC/BY Wikimedia

There are a lot of genres, sub genres, and micro genres within the fine art of music and the variety is so vast that finding new and original content can be pretty easy.

However, finding something truly unseen and unique in all of the clutter is a rare thing. Usually, you end up with something new, but you can tell that it drew a lot of inspiration from somewhere else.

Yet, every once in awhile something that has truly never been seen before comes to the surface. The fairly unknown micro genre of electronic music known by most as “Vaporwave” is one of those few gems buried in the sand.

“I feel like it lets you achieve a deeper mindset on the current world and its issues,” sophomore Calder Robinson said.

The typically chill and relaxing experience given off by most Vaporwave songs makes itself just another meditation genre, mixed with electronic music and a 90’s vibe. However, what differentiates Vaporwave from the rest is it’s very exclusive style of art.

“The use of sampling and the simplicity of the genre spawned a pretty unique art style,” sophomore Bobby Pearsey said.

There are all kinds of variations of Vaporwave art, but the typical cliches are vibrant neon colors, pixelation of objects, palm trees, greek sculptures, anything involving 90’s pop culture, and an old Windows 98 or Macintosh Plus logo being present.         
This collage of visually interesting images bundled with the relaxing vibes given off by the music is a very satisfying and joyful experience that is like no other. So if you are ever in the mood for a smooth ride into chillville, the Vaporwave is your ticket.