Filed under features, uncategorized

Winter car troubles

How to protect your car from the harsh and cold weather

BLUSTERY+WEATHER%3A+Student+car+in+the+parking+covered+with+snow.+There+are+many+precautions+to+take+before+driving+in+the+cold+and+snowy+weather.+
BLUSTERY WEATHER: Student car in the parking covered with snow. There are many precautions to take before driving in the cold and snowy weather.

Photo by Josh Ford

Photo by Josh Ford

Driving in the winter is one of the scariest things for new teen drivers. Luckily, there are many small things that we can do to keep ourselves and our cars safe.

A major thing teens do wrong when driving in the winter is handling ice. Many times, when you slide on ice you may try to turn out of the slide, not into it. However, if you turn into the slide then you will stop moving, but if you turn out of the slide then you will continue to have no control.

Teens also do not know how to properly take care of their cars or prevent damage caused by winter weather.

Salt put on the roads to melt ice can corrode parts on the under bed and sides of a car, causing discoloration of paint, failing brakes, and leaking fluid. In order to prevent this corrosion, make sure to wash a car after driving on salted roads.

Another problem drivers might experience if temperatures are dropping is the thickening of car fluids. These fluids includes oil, antifreeze, power steering, and brake and transmission. To ensure that your car gets all the fluids it needs to run properly, fill all the fluid levels to the maximum level.

Cold weather is also notorious for tanking tire pressure. For every ten degrees fahrenheit the temperature drops, one PSI (pound per square inch) is lost in a car’s tires. Keep an eye on your pressure levels to prevent a flat tire.

Finally, cold temperatures can cause batteries to die faster, so make sure you get your battery tested frequently during the winter season. Along with batteries, your engine needs heat to run efficiently, so do not turn on the heating in your car immediately after starting it. This is a great way to prevent your engine from stalling.