Filed under showcase, sports

Gymnasts prepare for sectionals

The Rebel gymnasts’ season is coming to an end, but sectionals are close in sight.

BEAMING PERFORMANCE: Junior Kayleigh Winter does a routine on the balance beam. Winter feels the gymnastics team has greatly bonded this season.

Photo by Kathleen Soller

Photo by Kathleen Soller

The Rebel gymnastics teams has had a great season, which is already wrapping up. The team has proved just how many skills they really do have, and continue to show their ongoing improvement.

“We’ve improved a lot since our first meet and have also bonded much more,” said junior Kayleigh Winter.

The Rebel gymnasts continue to improve on their skills every week. Four days a week they have practice and they work on their skills on floor, bars, vault, and beam.

“Practices are the best time for us to learn and perfect new skills,” said freshman Mackenzie Kraeszig. “I try to use all of my practice time to the best of my ability.”

At their last meet, the team received second place against Columbus North High School. Multiple of the Rebel gymnasts placed individually, including senior Lexy Conjelko fourth on vault and sixth all around, Winter fifth on vault, and sophomore Mikaela Agresta sixth on beam.

“I felt really great after the meet with North Columbus, because even though I didn’t place on anything it was still a good meet for me. I feel like my team did really well,” said Kraeszig.

Up next, the Rebels have one more regular season meet until sectionals. Their next meet is against Franklin Central at the Gymnastics Company. The team feels nervous, yet excited about it.

“I’m pretty nervous for our next meet,” Kraeszig said. “I’ve heard the Franklin Central team is very good, but I have confidence that we’ll be able to show our full potential.”  

The Rebel gymnasts are starting to prepare for sectionals. To get ready for sectionals they will continue to practice and work on perfecting skills they already have.

“We’re more worried about the execution of our current skills, not about learning new ones,” said Winter.