The place where friends meet

The annual drama club Coffeehouse moved from the media center to the auditiorium

SINGING OUT: Sophomores Emily Wray and Allie Pena sing a duet from the famous Broadway musical Wicked. Wray sang as Glinda and Pena was Elphaba in the song

SINGING OUT: Sophomores Emily Wray and Allie Pena sing a duet from the famous Broadway musical Wicked. Wray sang as Glinda and Pena was Elphaba in the song "For Good"

Photo by Lizzy Hosty

Photo by Lizzy Hosty

Throughout the halls, there were posters boasting drama club’s first Coffeehouse of the year. As senior Reesie LaRosa had been advertising over the announcements, the coffeehouse is a place for students to show off their unique talents, eat cookies, and enjoy each other’s company. This year was different from past years because it was held in the auditorium, rather than the traditional media center.

“Since the media center is now a classroom, the space is not as conducive to the type of event as it was before, so we thought the auditorium would be a perfect place,” LaRosa said.

Talents ranged from singing to piano-playing to improv, with a total of ten acts, with a few who signed up during the coffeehouse, performing from 3:30 to 4:30 pm on February 15th. Junior Shannon Mitchel and sophomore Mia Roberts participated in a duet to “When You Believe” from the Prince of Egypt.

I had a bad cough when we sang it so it didn’t go as well as planned but I think it was decent enough,” Mitchel said.

Another duet of the song “For Good” from the hit musical Wicked was sung by sophomore Allie Pena and Emily Wray.

“This was a tradition of Allie and I. We sang in last year’s coffeehouse and in eighth grade, as well,” Wray said.

Following the duo was junior Jack Baker with his rendition of the song “Banana Pancakes” by Jack Johnson.
“I think it went pretty well,” Baker said. “I thought the other acts were really talented.”

Additionally, seniors Chris Golab, Jeremy Schmidt, sophomore Amy Weilhammer, and Mitchel participated in a ComedySportz game. They played “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Advice” where they pretended to give bad advice to members of the audience.

“They were… interesting to watch,”  Mitchel said. “I’m kidding. They have definite potential.”

The coffeehouse had around thirty people in attendance,

Further coffeehouse and drama club meeting information can be directed to Drama Club President LaRosa.