Filed under news, uncategorized

Young comedians please the audience

ComedySportz season kicks into gear with their first match in February

LOTS OF LAUGHS: Seniors Chris Golab and Jeremy Schmidt prepare to go onstage for their first ComdeySportz performance on Wednesday.  The team of seven looks forward to a competitive season this spring.

LOTS OF LAUGHS: Seniors Chris Golab and Jeremy Schmidt prepare to go onstage for their first ComdeySportz performance on Wednesday. The team of seven looks forward to a competitive season this spring.

Photo by Joe Schroeder

Photo by Joe Schroeder

On Wednesday, the Rebel ComedySportz team made its season debut in the Roncalli auditorium.

The ComedySportz team is one of Roncalli’s lesser known programs.  It started in the 2012-2013 school year as a high school chapter of the professional improv program.  The sport involves two teams of “act-letes” that go head to head in a series of games that test wit, quick-thinking, and comedy.

Students are selected through an auditioning process in May. Once a team of seven members has been assembled, the group prepares to compete against other high school ComedySportz teams in central Indiana.

“I think performing arts in general are a great way for students to embody someone else, whether it be for a few minutes or a full-length concert or play,” ComedySportz coach Ms. Kim Buckley said.  “Performing improv can be both terrifying and incredibly empowering. Students begin to learn how to trust their own thought process and instincts, and to find creativity within themselves that they never knew they had.”

For sophomore Amy Weilhammer, ComedySportz was a chance to step outside her comfort zone.

“I feel like it offers me a unique opportunity to…have a lot of fun with my teammates and with people who I might not know from other schools too,” said Weilhammer.

Seniors Chris Golab and Margaret McCloskey, on the other hand, have been involved in ComedySportz for a few years now.

“Comedysportz is literally just making jokes and talking in weird voices with your best friends,”McCloskey said “This is my second year on the team, and I’ve spent every minute of the last two seasons laughing.”

Golab even mentions how the team has allowed him to express himself in ways that he hasn’t been able to in other settings.

“I am largely involved in theater and the fine arts, but [ComedySportz] gives me the most freedom,” Golab said.

The team looks forward to an exciting competition season this spring.