Southside staple plans expansion

Local ice cream shop announces expansion plans

MELTING+OUR+HEARTS%3A+Even+on+a+brisk%2C+windy+day%2C+people+still+come+to+this+iconic+shop.+They+offer+a+wide+variety+of+food+including+ice+cream%2C+milkshakes%2C+hot+dogs%2C+and+french+fries.+
MELTING OUR HEARTS: Even on a brisk, windy day, people still come to this iconic shop. They offer a wide variety of food including ice cream, milkshakes, hot dogs, and french fries.

Photo by Isabel Laut

Photo by Isabel Laut

A summertime staple in the heart of Greenwood, Ind. is Mrs. Curls Ice Cream Shop. Whether it be rainy or sunny, there is almost always a line wrapped around the small corner shop. Since its establishment in 1962, this small ice cream shop has grown into quite a popular place for tasty frozen desserts. While the expansion is still in its early stages, Mrs. Curls hopes to expand business and grow in popularity.

“When a city has a business icon like Mrs. Curls, it is a win/win when they grow,” Greenwood mayor Mark Myers said.

Along with the expansion of the store, the city of Greenwood is also adding an additional turn lane on Meridian Street wider sidewalks,traffic signal, and stormwater infrastructure upgrades. These upgrades aim to enhance the store which will help with development of the city and draw in more customers to this shop. The expansion is a part of a long string of upgrades that have been going on all throughout Greenwood.

“The city purchased the properties to the north and south of Mrs. Curls to add new trails, widen sidewalks and improve traffic in the area,” Myers said. “There was an opportunity to improve Mrs. Curls in the process.”

The city is still in the planning stages of this project, and if things continue to develop at the current pace it could be as soon as next summer.

The owner of Mrs. Curls, John Cassin, is excited about the renovation and wants customers to be assured that their classic ice cream will remain the same as it has always been.