Filed under news

Fiber arts discontinued

Popular arts class is cut from Roncalli curriculum

ASSORTED TALENTS: Fiber arts students made a variety of projects during their time in the class. They can make pillows, hats, stain glass windows, etc. out of the materials given.

Photo by Lizzy Hosty

Photo by Lizzy Hosty

Missing from the course catalog for next year is a well-loved art class; fiber arts. fiber arts was cut after Home Economics teacher Mrs. Kathy Tinder retired last year and took the fashion textiles class with her.

“We lost our textile maker, and it’s a shame that we have to drop this class,” art teacher Mr. Mark Stratton said. “This class is a lot different than other art classes because people could go into fashion and clothing after they graduate.”

Fiber arts is only offered one semester per year, and is the study of art forms that use textiles, fabrics, and various fibers. Students spend their time weaving, and batiking, which is a primitive form of dying fabrics through the use of hot wax and dye vats.

“I had heard about making hats from my friends, and thought it sounded like a really interesting class,” junior Sophie Daniel said.

In addition to hats, students who take fiber arts also make hats, pillows, rugs, stain glass windows, and baskets. Fiber arts is essentially a crafts class, and students, such as Daniel, finds it to be fun and enjoyable break in her day.

Daniel has decided to move onto AP studio art next year, and values the experience from her fiber arts class.

“Mr. Stratton is really funny and super crazy – but in a good way!” Daniel said.

Several fiber arts projects can found on display at the art show on May 5th from 5pm to 8pm, in the auditorium.