Senior earns Indiana Academic All-Star

Valedictorian recognized as one of the elite minds in the state

ALL+STAR+STUDENT%3A+Senior+Claire+Whalen+poses+with+English+and+psychology+teacher+Mrs.+Kim+Striby.+Whalen+was+honored+as+an+Indiana+Academic+All-Star+and+selected+Striby+as+her+most+influential+teacher.+
ALL STAR STUDENT: Senior Claire Whalen poses with English and psychology teacher Mrs. Kim Striby. Whalen was honored as an Indiana Academic All-Star and selected Striby as her most influential teacher.

Photo by Joe Schroeder

Photo by Joe Schroeder

Senior Claire Whalen has been chosen as one of the the elite 40 high school minds in the state of Indiana. This is an extremely prestigious award that recognizes students for their hard work over all four years of high school.

I felt really honored to be validated for all my hard work with this recognition because it is not just an award within my school but across the state of Indiana,” said Whalen. “When I first heard about this, it was because my sister was receiving it, so I definitely have always hoped that I would not only have the opportunity to apply for it but also receive it as well. I am very grateful that Roncalli chose to nominate me, as well as excited and proud to have achieved this honor.”

As part of the award, students choose a specific teacher that has inspired and helped them to be the best student they can be. Whalen chose English and psychology teacher Mrs. Kim Striby, which is a tremendous honor for her as well.

It is very humbling to know that I have impacted someone in that way,” Striby said. “I became a teacher because I wanted to make a difference in people’s lives, which, in turn, would hopefully result in making the world a better place.  The nature of the business, however, is that we don’t always know in any visible way that we have done that.  That is why I feel so incredibly honored by her nomination.”

Whalen found out about her inclusion on the list in March of this year and will be honored at a luncheon on April 25th. This will be a chance for Whalen to come together with her peers in an event that will be packed with brain power.

I am definitely excited for the luncheon because it is a very tangible recognition of the award,” Whalen said. “Also, it is very interesting and fun to meet and learn about amazing fellow students from schools across the state, some from places I’ll probably never even have heard of, and some of whom I may even personally know.”