Filed under news, uncategorized

Awarded for outstanding work

Roncalli physics teacher recognized for classroom excellence

MAKING+CHANGE%3A+Physics+teacher+Ben+Grimes+takes+a+hold+of+two+prestigious+awards.+Grimes+has+spent+his+teaching+career+attempting+to+rewrite+the+standards+for+physics+all+across+the+state+of+Indiana.++
MAKING CHANGE: Physics teacher Ben Grimes takes a hold of two prestigious awards. Grimes has spent his teaching career attempting to rewrite the standards for physics all across the state of Indiana.

Photo by Josh Ford

Photo by Josh Ford

At the end of each school year, prestigious awards are handed out to students and teachers for their specific achievements. One Roncalli teacher was honored with two awards recognizing his effectiveness in the classroom.

Roncalli physics teacher Mr. Ben Grimes was awarded as American Association of Physics Teachers Outstanding Teacher of the Year for the state of Indiana. Grimes received this title at a banquet on April 22nd at the University of Indianapolis. He was selected on the criteria of at least five years of teaching experience, innovative instructional techniques and collaboration with other teachers.

Grimes also was chosen based on the leadership he shows in the classroom; whether he is presenting notes or running experiments, Grimes has been noted by his students as a commanding force who takes control of the classroom in order to help everyone succeed.

“[Grimes] applies the principles covered in class to situations applicable to the real world which goes beyond what he is paid to do,” senior Joe Burns said.

Later in April, Grimes was awarded the Samuel F. Hulbert Outstanding Teacher of the Year for Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. He was nominated by two of his former physics students, 2016 alumni Nate Eble and Matthew White, who are both mechanical engineering students at Rose-Hulman. This is the first time that two students have recommended the same teacher for this award.

“Ultimately, receiving both of these awards is an affirmation from both sides of the academic spectrum, acknowledgment from past students and from my peers,” Grimes said.

Grimes’ awards display that his love of science, particularly physics, can be passed down to students who enroll in his courses.

“[Grimes] helps those who have no [prior] interest in math and science to see all of the great aspects of such subjects by presenting material in a way that truly captures the attention and interest of his students,” White said.

Currently, Grimes teaches three levels of physics and works to continue inspiring students. Since the beginning of his teaching career, Grimes has made it a goal to make a difference in the way physics is taught in the state of Indiana; by winning these awards, he feels that he is finally accomplishing this. Grimes will continue to work with other teachers around Indiana to rewrite the standards for physics and work to receive certification to lead workshops for his peers.

“Gaining recognition is not at all why I do this,” Grimes said, “but it certainly gives validation to the work I’ve done.”