Baseball bands together after defeat

Three consecutive losses drive the Rebels to a glorious victory

STAR NEWCOMER: Junior pitcher Colten Panaranto attempts to strike out the Brebeuf Jesuit Braves in the Marion County Championship Tournament last Monday at Victory Field.  The team suffered three losses in a row before crushing Ben Davis later that week.

STAR NEWCOMER: Junior pitcher Colten Panaranto attempts to strike out the Brebeuf Jesuit Braves in the Marion County Championship Tournament last Monday at Victory Field. The team suffered three losses in a row before crushing Ben Davis later that week.

Photo by Dave Schrader

Photo by Dave Schrader

A packed schedule would have appeared foreboding after losing an important county championship game against Brebeuf Jesuit last Monday.

The Rebel baseball team, however, didn’t take the 5-0 loss as a sign to quit their efforts. Instead, the crew used the defeat as a lesson to focus on their hitting, which proved valuable when the Rebels crushed Ben Davis 9-0 last Thursday.

The team had amassed many different skills leading up to their season; they were fresh, having only two seniors on the roster.  This shortage of upperclassmen prompted younger athletes to step up to the plate (and quite literally so).

In particular, the team looked to center fielder and junior varsity veteran Nick Schnell as well as new-coming junior pitcher Colten Panaranto to lead the team defensively. Both juniors, as well as the rest of the Rebels, delivered on the field.  

The boys could not, however, hold against Brebeuf senior star-pitcher John Nierman while at bat.  Two hits from Schnell and sophomore Tommy Hansen left the team with a punishing loss at the beginning of a long week.

“Our team learned a lot about what we are made of,” Panaranto said. “We never gave up until the last out of the game was recorded.”

The team then continued its cold streak, losing to both Heritage Christian and New Palestine.

The full court press was in swing by Thursday, when the Rebels played at Ben Davis.  It’s likely that no one felt the weight more intensely, however, than sophomore Max Lundy, varsity newcomer and rookie pitcher.

“I like the pressure,” Lundy said.  “I feel like I thrive under pressure.”

Lundy did, in fact, thrive while on the mound, throwing a complete game shutout.  The Rebels sent the Giants home at 9-0, finally bringing an end to the week’s previous cold streak.

“We built off our losses and put in the time afterward,” Schnell said. “We grew as a team [that week].”

The secret to their success?  Lundy has a theory to this glorified win.

“It’s not necessarily such a big deal to be good every night because there’s gonna be ups and down,” Lundy said. “You just need to do your job and do the best that you can personally.”

The Rebels will play McCutcheon at Grand Park this Tuesday, hoping to spiral off the team’s positive morale from a spectacular win last week.