Filed under sports, uncategorized

Shooting for the win

Lady Rebel basketball team use Christmas break to showcase their skills

DRIVE TO WIN: Sophomore Maggie Schoening dribbles around defenders from Beech Grove. Although it was a hard fight, the Lady Rebels fell to the Hornets 62-42.

As the temperature drops and fall sports come to a close, the Rebel gym, popularly known as “the Woodshed,” comes to life with many basketball games. Over Christmas break, the girl’s basketball team was able to put their hard work into action.

The Lady Rebels won the Bostick Memorial Christmas Tournament at Covenant Christian High School.

The Rebels defeated Crispus Attucks in the first game 60-50. The team was led by junior Ellie Bischoff who scored a game high 20 points, including 5 three-pointers. Senior Paige Saylor closely followed with 18 points.

In the evening game the Rebels beat the host team, Covenant Christian, 57-54. Leading the way for the girl’s were Saylor and Bischoff scoring 16 and 14 respectively.

The tournament proved to be a great day for the Ladies showing their ability to win multiple games in a day and win a close game. The team had to rebuild after losing several players from last year, including McDonald’s All-American Lindsey Corsaro. With this tournament win, the Lady Rebels can be assured that their offseason work and pre season training paid off.

“We have learned to take the pressure off one individual player and work as a team,” senior Claire Whalen said.

After a hard loss to Franklin Central in the beginning of January, the Lady Rebels look to regroup and continue a winning season. Freshman Alana Vinson proved to be a standout player, scoring 20 points against the Flashes. As one of two freshman on the team, Vinson has a large task in making herself a valuable asset.  

Although winning is a perk, assistant coach Tim Crissman hopes to teach more important lessons to his athletes.

“We enjoy teaching our student athletes the game of basketball but we also enjoy spending time together building a better relationship with Christ,” Crissman said.

The team will continue their season playing difficult opponents such as Center Grove and Columbus North. With an 11-10 record, the Roncalli girls will continue to work hard hoping to end the season with more wins.