Diving into sectionals

Boys' swimming and diving season comes to an end

ENDING+WITH+SUCCESS%3A+Junior+Jack+Bauer+prepares+to+dive+into+the+pool+at+the+boys%E2%80%99+sectional+competition+on+Thursday.++Bauer%E2%80%99s+performance+placed+him+as+the+school%E2%80%99s+second-fastest+500+freestyle.+
ENDING WITH SUCCESS: Junior Jack Bauer prepares to dive into the pool at the boys’ sectional competition on Thursday.  Bauer’s performance placed him as the school’s second-fastest 500 freestyle.

ENDING WITH SUCCESS: Junior Jack Bauer prepares to dive into the pool at the boys’ sectional competition on Thursday. Bauer’s performance placed him as the school’s second-fastest 500 freestyle.

Photo by Dave Schrader

Photo by Dave Schrader

After two long weeks without formal competition, the boys’ swimming and diving team was ready to dive into sectionals.  The team had been practicing as ever for the sectional competition, feeling confident in their ability to perform well.

The team did not disappoint on Thursday, with a total of 12 swimmers achieving the fastest races of their lives. Four swimmers made into the the top ten fastest races in the school’s history. These swimmers were senior Nick Carpenter in the 200 freestyle, junior Alberto Armanni in the 100 butterfly, junior Jack Bauer in the 500 freestyle and sophomore Blake Ludge 100 breaststroke.  These four rebels, along with sophomore Gabe Buening, advanced to the next part of sectionals for a chance to advance to the state finals.

In the second part of the sectional competition, the team scored 146 points, placing seventh out of the 10 teams competing. A few rebels beat their previous performance, climbing ever higher on the school record-holding list. These rebels included Buening, Carpenter, Armanni and Ludge, all of whom placed seventh in the 200 medley relay and placed 10th in the 400 freestyle relay.

“I’m very proud in the team’s performance this year, everyone gave it their best and pulled off some solid times,” said Carpenter.