Valedictorian, Salutatorian announced

Roncalli identifies the top students in the Class of 2017

Photo by Dave Schrader
TOP OF THE CLASS: Senior Claire Whalen poses in the chapel after being named Valedictorian for the Class of 2017. Whalen was awarded this title at the all-school liturgy held today.

Roncalli awarded the titles of both Valedictorian and Salutatorian for the Class of 2017 at the all-school liturgy today.

VALEDICTORIAN: CLAIRE ANNE WHALEN

In whatever she does, [Whalen] demonstrates a servant’s heart, the leadership skills and confidence to share her convictions in an effective manner, and the tenacity to see her aspirations through to completion.”

Whalen has completed the most rigorous coursework throughout the Roncalli curriculum, including ten AP courses. She is a National Merit Commended Scholar, earned perfect scores on the ACT English and Reading sections, is an AP Scholar with Honors and earned the highest score of five on three different AP exams. Teachers share that Whalen is a self-challenging, good-hearted and intellectually curious student.

One AP teacher shared, “I teased that she lived three minutes in the future because she always seemed to know where my discussions or lines of questioning were headed.”

Whalen’s extracurricular involvement includes cross country, track and field and basketball, through which she has repeatedly been named Co-Captain, Academic All-State, Most Valuable Player; and she is among the top five female high jumpers in Roncalli history.

Additionally, she has contributed to her community through volunteer work at a homeless family shelter, center city food distribution centers, Home for the Elderly, the Center for Global Impact and is a group leader for religious education at her parish church.

In whatever she does, she demonstrates a servant’s heart, the leadership skills and confidence to share her convictions in an effective manner, and the tenacity to see her aspirations through to completion.

Whalen is in the process of considering her college options and plans to major in Psychology.

SALUTATORIAN: MICHAEL THOMAS OTLEY

Otley has been characterized by his teachers as having laser focus, possessing strong, positive leadership skills, meticulous attention to detail and phenomenal presentation skills.”

Otley has selected Roncalli’s most challenging curriculum throughout his high school career. Upon graduation, he will have completed eight AP courses and an additional 19 credits in other accelerated and honors courses.

Otley has earned perfect scores on the ACT in the reading, math and english sections as well as the total composite score. He has been named a National Merit Commended student, and was named one of only 26 seniors in Indiana to be recognized to the Indianapolis Colts, Indiana High School Academic All–Star Team.

In addition to his rigorous academic curriculum, he has also had great success outside of the classroom. He is a three-year varsity letter winner and member of the undefeated 2016 State Champion football team. In addition, he is a four year varsity member of the track and field team, where he has also been quite successful. He is a two-time indoor state qualifier in the 4×400 meter relay, a two-time outdoor regional qualifier in the 4×400 relay and open 200 meters and a member of the Roncalli school record-holding 4×200 meter relay team. His junior year, he was named the Mental Attitude award-winner.

Along with academics and athletics, it’s important to note, service has also been an important part of Otley’s life. He will have earned over 200 hours of service upon graduation, assisting with the I Can Bike Foundation, The Lord’s Pantry, Saint Vincent DePaul, and the Concerns of Police Survivors Organization.

Otley has been characterized by his teachers as having laser focus, possessing strong, positive leadership skills, meticulous attention to detail and phenomenal presentation skills. Giving his absolute best is never in question, and his thirst for knowledge seems to know no limits.

Otley plans to attend Purdue University, where he will study Engineering.

*Transcripts are provided by guidance department chairs Ms. Lynn Starkey and Ms. Shelly Fitzgerald, respectively.