Crossing the finish line

Unified team is enthusiastic to begin long-awaited season

Sophomore Kelli Mariutto helps senior Katie Strange perfect the track event long jump at a practice at Roncalli High School.  The team will have three home meets during the 2017 season.

Sophomore Kelli Mariutto helps senior Katie Strange perfect the track event long jump at a practice at Roncalli High School. The team will have three home meets during the 2017 season.

Photo by Yan Yan

Photo by Yan Yan

This is the second year Roncalli has had a unified track team, and all of the competitors are enthusiastic for the start of the season. The track team consists of student athletes, student partners and student motivators.

“We have five ‘student athletes’ who are members of our Life Academy,” unified track coach and history teacher Mr. Pat Crosley said. “We have five ‘student partners’ who are responsible for participating and assisting athletes to compete in the events. We also have an unknown number of what I call ‘student motivators’ who come to support the team at practice and the meets.”

Roncalli mostly competes for the fun aspect of the sport. The students aren’t worried about setting a personal record as much as they’re worried about running well for their team.

“It’s how much fun we’re having, not how well we’re doing,” sophomore Ellen Schrader said. “You want to compete well for your team, not for wanting to PR. Winning isn’t the main priority.”

Competitors in unified track, do not compete in the same events that an average track team normally would. Unified track competes in the 4 by 100 relay, the 400, the 100, long jump, and shot put events.

“We are excited, motivated and ready to compete,” Crosley said. “Our team has amazing runners, throwers, and jumpers.”

So far, the track team is off to a good start, having already started their practices which are typically on Mondays and Wednesdays. A normal practice consists of stretching, warm-up exercises, a short run. The athletes are then taught different skills to improve in each of the events.

“[The practices] were good,” Schrader said, “Everyone was just really excited to be there, and everyone had a positive attitude, which is really fun.”

The team will host all three of their only meets of the season at Roncalli on April 19, April 26, and May 3.

“I am absolutely fired up to be a part of the team,” Crosley said. “I have really been motivated by the excitement of the athletes and the willingness of RHS students to step up to be helpers.”