Life of a high school student

Students discuss the purpose and the value of being apart of various extracurricular activities

FOCUSED%3A+Seniors+Katie+Griffin%2C+Maddie+Ganka%2C+and+Jackson+McHugh+work+together+on+a+math+project.+Along+with+keeping+grades+up%2C+all+three+balance+jobs+and+other+activities+as+well.+
FOCUSED: Seniors Katie Griffin, Maddie Ganka, and Jackson McHugh work together on a math project. Along with keeping grades up, all three balance jobs and other activities as well.

Photo by Josh Ford

Photo by Josh Ford

As a high-school student, life can often be busy with extracurricular activities. Schoolwork, jobs, sports, fine-arts and clubs are just a few of the things that fill the time of many teenagers.

Although having several activities going on at one time can be stressful, students find that participating in things they enjoy is fun. Senior Maddie Ganka has filled her time with choir, friends and her job at Dairy Queen.

I’m involved in these activities because they bring me enjoyment and make high school more fun,” Ganka said.

Throughout the school year, homework alone can become overwhelming. Many students feel this way especially around finals week or before breaks. Regardless of the stress school can cause, teens still recommend getting as involved as possible.

“I suggest that underclassmen get involved so they can meet new people and make new friends, but don’t do so many activities that they can’t keep up with school work or never have any free time,” said senior Katie Griffin.

While some activities can often be more overwhelming than others, it is crucial to put total effort into everything. To be able to take away the most from high school, students must work as hard as possible on everything they commit to.

Many extracurricular activities also teach important lessons that textbooks simply cannot. Having a job can teach responsibility in addition to how to work with other people. Being a member in a club can showcase passionate about a certain topic, such as the pro-life club or garden club. Lastly, balancing school and sports can teach young people how to be dedicated to not only academics but also to a physically challenging sport.

Most importantly, extracurricular activities teach how to properly manage time. As teens transition one grade to the next, it becomes easy to realize how important it is to use time effectively. Senior Jackson McHugh has used the past three years to become involved in basketball and track, get a job at the YMCA, and maintain honor roll.

“I have realized that I cannot put off my school work until the last minute because although I might be able to complete the work, the quality will be poor and then the grade will reflect that,” said McHugh.

Despite the fact that having a hectic schedule can make Rebel students feel overwhelmed, getting involved and managing time well will pay off in the long run. Extracurricular activities are what define high school life, and students should certainly take advantage of all the opportunities presented to them.

1 Comment

One Response to “Life of a high school student”

1. Luke Cromer on May 25th, 2017 12:05 pm

Awesome article!

[Reply]

*

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Chasing Coral

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Sgt. Pepper’s: 50 years later

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Tale as old as time

• Life of a high school student

opinion

“Appetite for Destruction” 30 years

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Ride the Vaporwave

• Life of a high school student

opinion

40 years since the release of “The Stranger”

• Life of a high school student

opinion

10 shows to watch on Netflix

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Miss Peregrine’s peculiar movie

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Dangers of procrastination

• Life of a high school student

opinion

Balancing athletics, academics

Life of a high school student