Good Friday preparations underway

Theatre department prepares for emotional performance

PRACTICING FOR FRIDAY: Students practice in the auditorium for their performance in front of the entire student body on Friday.  The students will be bring attention to the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ through their performance.

PRACTICING FOR FRIDAY: Students practice in the auditorium for their performance in front of the entire student body on Friday. The students will be bring attention to the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ through their performance.

Every year, Roncalli’s theatre production class gives a riveting performance at the Good Friday service. It usually involves a dynamic of remorse and redemption that embodies our journey during Lent.

This year, the audience will be granted ten minutes of personal time to reflect and meditate at the start of the service.

“This year’s theme is unashamed love,” Vice President for mission and ministry Mr. Bob Tully said. “[When] Jesus opened His arms up to us on the cross, He offered us His love. It is up to us to come forward and accept His love.”

Tully helped orchestrate the service in unison with choral director Mr. Joey Newton and theatre arts supervisor Mr. Phil Anderson. Tully is hopeful that the music will drive the performances.

“The music this year is truly special,” said Tully.  “I am hoping it will truly be spectacular. There will be a mime, reflection, and readings.”

The highlight of the service is the dramatic presentation, a remarkable spectacle that is showcased each year.

The script is written by the fourth period theater productions class. Under the supervision of Anderson, the class has been writing, revising and working out the script for a little over a month, beginning a few weeks before spring break. Actors are usually selected by their peers in class.

“I am really excited to perform,” said sophomore Kenzie Gaskill. “We are each representing one of the seven deadly sins. I hope the audience can really get something out of our performance.”

This year’s service is set for April 14, Good Friday.