Fellow English teachers get hitched

Litz proposes to McGill on pilgrimage to Italy

NEWLY ENGAGED: English teachers Ms. Tristan McGill and Mr. Frank Litz pose in front of the Trevi Fountain in Rome.  While on a pilgrimage to Italy, Litz proposed to McGill after dating for a few years.

NEWLY ENGAGED: English teachers Ms. Tristan McGill and Mr. Frank Litz pose in front of the Trevi Fountain in Rome. While on a pilgrimage to Italy, Litz proposed to McGill after dating for a few years.

Photo by Submitted

Photo by Submitted

For anyone out there living under a rock, as of March 25th, English teachers Mr. Frank Litz and Ms. Tristan McGill are happily engaged. On a magical pilgrimage to Italy, science teacher Mr. Tim Crissman, Mr. and Mrs. Strykowski, principal Mr. Chuck Weisenbach, and Litz and McGill, traveled overseas on a spiritual pilgrimage. The group visited locations important to Angelo Roncalli’s life, such as Bergamo and various beautiful parts of Italy during spring break.

On their second day of traveling abroad, Litz came to a quiet spot late at night after the 100 bell tolls of Campanone, which is a Bergamo tradition that used to signify curfew.  The street he stood on was named Papa Roncalli, and Litz felt like it was the perfect moment.

“This was the most unromantic way to ask, but I think I said something like, ‘So what are we doing? Wine, gelato, or just get married?’” Litz said.

He then proceeded to kneel down to propose, and, the answer was yes.

“I felt completely overwhelmed [and] happy,” McGill said. “[I]t just felt like the perfect moment. It was definitely the biggest surprise on the trip.”

The couple got to know each other back in 2014 when Litz was in need of an assistant coach for the girls’ cross country team.

“The girls knew McGill and said she was fun,” Litz said.  “Her personality fit, and she said yes. Then, as her second year as a coach, the senior girls kept saying we should go out on a date. So after that cross country season, we went on a date to see a Ben Folds concert at the Murat Theatre.”

Soon after the initial date, the couple’s relationship grew. They coached the girls’ cross country team and taught classes across from hall each other, but few knew of their relationship.

“Fine dining, camping, going to concerts, running together and general exercise are just a few of the things we did,” McGill said.  “I’d say I’m a bit more eclectic when it comes to music – he can’t stand country [music], and I can – but at the core, we have extremely similar tastes.”

“You know I think we did a pretty good job of keeping the whole thing really low-key because before word got out, only a small amount of people knew,” said Litz.

The two are currently undecided of a time and place to marry, but they think the wedding will be a small event with family and a few friends.