Student appreciation

Student council hosts Extravaganza to rally for end of year

IN IT TO WIN IT: Seniors Alex Kuntz, Sammy Matis, and Will English participate in a corn hole tournament at the StuCo Extravaganza. While more people have participated this year than last, it is still less than the 30-40 teams from five years ago.

Photo by Lizzy Hosty

Photo by Lizzy Hosty

As the year draws to a close, students’ stress levels are at an all-time high. Studying for finals and finishing last minute projects and papers weighs down high schoolers. To help alleviate this stress, the student council hosted their annual StuCo Extravaganza to honor the hard work students have put in this school year.

“We try to have the event act as a “marker” that the end of the school year is near,” junior co-president of web promotions Tyler Hicks said.

Hicks was pleasantly surprised by the turnout this year and feels that there were many areas the students enjoyed compared to previous years.

“There have been movie nights, bounce houses, and a snow cone truck,” Hicks said. “[but] for the 2017 Extravaganza, we thought the Mrs. Curl truck would be a great idea, and it turned out to be very successful.”

Student council moderator Mr. Ryan Costello hopes, however, to improve the event for next year by growing the corn hole tournament.

“Five or six years ago, we had 30-40 teams compete,” Costello said. “Hopefully we can build on the success of this year’s tournament.”

The student council has arranged this event since 2008, and Costello believes it helps reduce stress and gives back to students and staff for a great school year.

“While we didn’t consciously create the event for that purpose,” Costello said. “We certainly hope it’s a relaxing and celebratory event to cap off the year.”