Filed under uncategorized

Girls’ track heads to regionals

Team optimistic with the end of their season fastly approaching

As the track season comes to an end, the runners are becoming more excited for the big meets to come. This year’s girls’ track team has had a successful season with many new personal records and wins.

“We all worked really hard this season and put our personal best into each and every meet,” sophomore Carlie Schulteis said.

Sectionals for girls’ track took place on Tuesday, May 16, and the Lady Rebels were defeated by only Warren Central and Franklin Central. Many Rebels placed individually at sectionals, including junior Stephanie Corbett, who received a new personal record of 13:32 in the 3200.  

“Getting a [personal record] was such a fulling accomplishment,” junior Stephanie Corbett said. “Being able to achieve a new goal at such a big meet made the practicing all worth it.”

The Rebels proved they could defend their already strong season and showed they were tough contenders for the other competing schools.

Next, the Rebels will head to regionals with many girls representing Roncalli, including seniors Emma Schmidt in shot put, Paige Saylor in long jump, and freshman Emily Sonderman in long jump.

Two of the relay teams finished with a season’s best time and will be advancing to regionals, including the record-breaking 4×100 relay team of Sonderman, Saylor, and seniors Morgan Clarke and Josie Asher and the 4×800 relay team of Asher, and juniors Izzy Jahnke, Kate Morse and Danielle Henke.

Two athletes set new personal records, including Marisa Bryans in high jump and 100 hurdles and Clarke in the 100.

“I’m nervous, yet excited, for regionals,” Bryans said. “I’m just hoping we all do good and give our best effort [at regionals], so that a few of us can advance even farther.”

The outgoing seniors only have a few more days of their season left and are proud of how they are ending the season. With five seniors moving onto regionals, the senior girls are hoping to advance to the state championship to end their final season.