Filed under news

F.B.I Director James Comey fired

Termination of Comey creates dark cloud over Trump administration

Students arguing over politics has been more prevalent in the months following the election. Juniors Pete Baker (left) and Luke Tippett (right) pictured above.

Photo by Photo by: Will Allen

Photo by Photo by: Will Allen

F.B.I. director James Comey was fired on Tuesday, May 9th of last week. His termination was ordered by President Donald Trump and relayed through a top White House aid.

Trump’s seemingly sporadic decisions have raised allegations that the firing was an attempt to silence Comey, who was conducting an investigation on Russia’s possible interference in the 2016 election. Comey reportedly found out of his termination via breaking news on CNN while he was giving a presentation to FBI agents in L.A. Tuesday morning.

Trump’s decision has been debated from both sides as either patriotic or corrupt. It has been praised by most conservatives as well as the Fox News Network. Right-wing pundits have been outspoken in their approval of Trump’s decision as most think that Comey’s handling of the Clinton email investigation was not sufficient to their standards.

On the flip side, MSNBC and CNN have both been throwing support behind Comey, both during his investigation of Clinton and his firing.

The argument has reached the halls of Roncalli, with students taking definite stances.

“I think that Comey should have been fired,” said junior Luke Tippett. “President Trump had a point in firing him because the director did not do his job to the best of his ability in the investigation of Clinton.”

No matter what stance is taken, the circumstances surrounding the firing have been suspect to say the least; Comey’s firing amidst the allegations of a Trump-Russia tie made it look as though the Trump administration had something to hide.

“Although [Comey] did not do a good job with the Clinton email scandal, Trump should have chosen a better time to fire him, maybe prior to the Trump-Russia fiasco,” said sophomore Aaron Hammons.

Time will tell whether the firing was justifiable or deceitful. Little over 100 days into his term, Trump has completed many tasks, to the applause, or chagrin, of many.