Filed under sports, uncategorized

Rebels enjoy senior leadership

Girls’ volleyball off to strong start

BUMP, SET, SPIKE: Sophomore Abby Johnson (#3), junior Elizabeth Eads (#15), and freshman Miranda Wilson (#8) block a spike against the Lawrence North Wildcats. The Rebels lost the game in five sets.

Photo by Grace Murphy

Photo by Grace Murphy

The girls’ volleyball team kicked off its season on Tuesday with a tough loss to Lawrence North. The Lady Rebels battled for five sets, with the last three decided by a two point margin (29-27, 25-27, 13-15). Senior Lauren Fey led the team with 45 assists and 16 digs.

Overall, it was a good first start,” Fey said. “There are a couple things we need to work on, but that game showed that we have a lot of potential this year to do great things.”

Fey is one of four seniors on the team this season, a major change from lone senior Heather Lezon leading the squad last year.

I think that with Heather being our only senior last year, it allowed each of our seniors to pick aspects of her leadership and carry them out in our own way,” senior Hannah Irmer said.

Multiple underclassmen round out the roster, and sophomore Abby Johnson returns for her second year on the varsity team as rightside hitter.

“The upperclassmen on the team are people that I can look up to in the hallway and on the court,” Johnson said.

The Rebels defeated Carmel on the road on Thursday in four sets. Juniors Betsy Crosley and Elizabeth Eads performed strongly in the game. On Saturday, the girls swept the Bishop Chatard Trojans, with sophomore Grace Irmer and junior Taylor Kehoe leading the team. The Lady Rebels will face off against Warren Central tonight at 6:30 p.m.

The biggest thing is having a good practice the day before,” Fey said. “If we communicate, we will be just fine against those really good teams.”