Filed under news, uncategorized

Rebel rivalry

Chick-fil-a challenge to commence in new restaurant

PROCESSING: Senior Alex Woods (right) works behind the counter during the Chick-fil-A challenge. Woods is a front house leader, which is the equivalent of a manager.

Photo by Kara House

Photo by Kara House

With the Chick-fil-A on Southport Road closed due to construction and the notorious Chick-fil-A challenge versus Franklin Central quickly approaching, questions arose as to whether the competition would ensue; however, after a long awaited six-week withdrawal, the branch opened.

Senior Alex Woods has worked at the Southport Chick-Fil-A for almost two years and was promoted to assistant manager last year. He alternated between different branches during the summer while waiting for Chick-fil-A to reopen.

“I spent the first part of the construction period in Germany for the Roncalli trip,” Woods said. “I then worked at five other locations: Circle Center, Broad Ripple, Keystone at the Crossing, Evansville and Columbus.”

Woods is currently back at Southport, preparing for the fast-approaching challenge.

“I am curious to see how it will play out because of the new store and how it works with the reopening combined with the crowds from challenge week,” Woods said.

The construction period to took place from the end of May to August 14, and now the completed branch is ready to welcome the excited Roncalli students.

“Challenge week is one week out of the year where not everyday is the same,” senior Madeleine Russell said. “I enjoy the excitement of challenge week.”

Russell was not the only one who celebrated the long awaited reopening of Roncalli students’ favorite Chick-fil-A branch. Many dedicated Rebels were excited for the chance to support their school.

“One morning, my brother and I were running late to school because of the long line at Chick-fil-a during challenge week, but we stayed and ordered to get credit for Roncalli,” junior Eiler Spayd said. “We ended up being late.”

The Chick-Fil-A challenge began Saturday, August 19th, and the game against Franklin Central is on Friday at 7 P.M. at home.