Underclassmen drive team

Boys’ cross country rebuilds after seniors graduate

STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION: Sophomore Ryan Flick comes into the finishing stretch of the Triton Central Early Bird Invite. At the Circle Center Conference the following weekend, Flick placed fifthteenth overall.

Photo by Isabel Laut

Photo by Isabel Laut

The boys’ cross country team got its season off to a strong start at the Triton Central Early Bird Invitational last week. They placed fifth overall out of ten teams. Junior Nick Perkins led the Rebels with a 5K time of 17:07, placing third overall. Following Perkins were sophomores Ryan Flick (18:39), Sam George (18:53), Max Peeples (19:18) and Liam Irwin (19:19).

“The team did really well considering the administrator put us in a bad situation,” head coach Jeff Buckley said. “We had a lot of unknowns because the varsity squad is very young.”

The meet administrator ran both varsity and JV in the same race due to concerns about the weather.

Last season, the team graduated five seniors who played an important role on their team, three varsity and two leading JV runners. Many underclassmen are now having to take on a more prominent role on the team.

“There has always been a strong senior class that acted as secondary coaches, so this year is  different from past seasons,” Perkins said.

Another unique aspect of this season is the large amount of new runners, including seniors Nick Ramos and Jack Tichenor, both of whom ran in the opening varsity race on Monday.

“I want[ed] to get used to running since I plan on joining the military after senior year,” Tichenor said.

The boys recently competed in the Circle Center Conference where they placed third overall, missing second by one point. Perkins led the team placing third, followed by sophomore Owen Herndon (12th), George (13th), Flick (15th), and senior Dave Schrader (19th). The coaching staff is excited for what this young team will pull off.