Filed under features, uncategorized

Eagle Scouts welcome senior

Brown climbs scouting ranks, places name among elite few

BACK-BREAKING+WORK%3A+Senior+Jason+Brown+and+alumnus+Mark+Jones+steady+the+level+as+they+prepare+to+mount+down+the+first+step+of+Brown%27s+Eagle+Scout+project.+On+August+17th%2C+Brown+was+accepted+by+the+Scouting+Board+and+officially+named+an+Eagle+Scout.+
BACK-BREAKING WORK: Senior Jason Brown and alumnus Mark Jones steady the level as they prepare to mount down the first step of Brown's Eagle Scout project. On August 17th, Brown was accepted by the Scouting Board and officially named an Eagle Scout.

Photo by Joan Brown

Photo by Joan Brown

While the majority of students spent their summer resting up from school, one senior was hard at work, laboring to receive his esteemed honor. Jason Brown spent most of his summer hours on his Eagle Scout project, clearing a small section of land on the hill near the practice soccer fields at Roncalli.

“Mr. [Bill] Niezgodski pointed out to me that the hill was unsafe to travel up and down,” Brown said. “Plus, my grandmother couldn’t even get down the hill to watch a lacrosse game. She had to stay up top and watch.”

With a task set in front of him, Brown wasted no time getting started. After raising nearly $1,400 in donations, he began constructing the set of stairs from scratch.

Brown began by clearing topsoil on the hill. Within the first three days, the foundation for the steps had been laid. Wood beams were shoved into the ground to serve as an outline for their width with larger wood planks laid between the beams, intersecting at the precise point Brown planned out.

The struggle kicked in for Brown and his volunteers on days four and five. After heavy rains, the hill made for one heck of an enemy to conquer. While trying to fill in holes for the posts with excess dirt, freshman Robert McKay and alumnus Matt McKay tumbled down the hill as they struggled to gain proper footing.

On the sixth day, Brown finally put the finishing touches on his masterpiece. The nine charisms of Saint John XXIII were placed on each step, and Brown’s name was also added. It took nearly seven days (156 volunteer hours) through sweltering heat and humidity before Brown and his volunteers could call the project complete.

“I felt like I needed to give back to Roncalli,” Brown said. “[The steps] specifically help out my friends because they use the practice soccer field.”

Plants line the right side of the steps, and solar-powered lights have been installed to light the way for walkers.

After a summer of laboring, Brown is proud of his accomplishments.

After graduation, Brown plans to return once or twice a week to continue the upkeep on his project. As he plans to stay close to home for college, this will remain his responsibility and not another task for the grounds crew.

On August 17th, Jason Brown was accepted by the Scouting Board and officially named an Eagle Scout.