Filed under sports, uncategorized

Tennis team revival

Team loses top players, comes back strong

FOCUS AND FORM: Senior Alex Ruble prepares to serve in his first match of the season. The Rebels defeated Franklin Central with a combined score of 3-2.

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

The boys’ tennis team had mixed predictions for the year after graduating many valuable seniors; however, this season has seen a fantastic start.

During the opening matches of the season, the boys defeated their first opponent, Franklin Central, with a 3-2 victory. Sophomore Alex Payne and junior Austin Schofield beat out FC alongside juniors Tyler Pollard and Garrett Meek. Schofield, along with duo of Pollard and Meek, won their respective matches in an exciting third set. Senior Bryson Meek, ranked first in singles, was barely defeated in the final set of his match.

Head coach Mark Claeys remarked that the team has successfully adapted without help from last year’s seniors.

“It’s a rebuilding season,” Claeys said “Three of the seven boys have varsity experience, and four have little to none. We also only have two seniors on varsity.”

A unique aspect to this year’s team involves the talent Payne showed in the singles match. The sophomore has been playing tennis since 2013 and has drastically improved since.

“It’s harder and more challenging,” Payne said, “but I think it’s definitely more fun and rewarding.”

The JV team was equally efficient and victorious. Freshman Kaden Meek won his match in the singles. Other highlights included the team of junior Henry Schutte and freshman Liam Moore along with the team of seniors Landon Lahey and Alex Ruble coming out victorious.

“It was a great way to start the season off,” Shutte said. “I got a few aces, both overhead and on the serve.”

The  boys’ senior night will be at home on September 25th against Columbus North.