Filed under opinion, uncategorized

Chasing Coral

Movie Reviews by Max

Photo by Dave Schrader

Photo by Dave Schrader

I was looking through Netflix one day and instead of watching “Narcos” like I was going to, I spotted this movie called “Chasing Coral”. “Chasing Coral” is a documentary directed by Jeff Orlowski and stars famous marine biologists Andrew Ackerman, Pim Bongaerts, Neal Cantin, and Phil Dustan.

The movie describes how the Great Barrier Reef in Australia has been slowly bleaching since 1986 and how the pollution from oil rigs and factories throughout the world are bleaching the coral due to pollution from oil rigs and factories. It also says that most of the really rare sea creatures and most of the coral is almost nearly dead and the water has been getting a lot hotter from global warming which is causing the fish to not have a stable habitat.

The movie does a really great job at trying to convince people to care about what is happening in Hawaii, the Bahamas, and in the Great Barrier Reef. It really opens up all that’s been happening to the environment, especially the ocean. I’m not trying to be one of those people that constantly preach about recycling and turning off the light when you need to. I just want people to be able to be aware of what else is being put at risk right now. Let me put this thought in your head , would you want to live in an environment a few years from now filled with nature, animals, and happy people or would you rather live in an environment where all the life in the ocean and the things surrounding it are nearly gone? I imagine you would chose the first option. There are many ways we could save it before it’s too late. For example, if there is some way that every country or at least most of them could start using clean energy and stopped chopping down a whole forest everyday like Paul Bunyon , that would help out tremendously.

I think that everybody needs to consider checking out the movie if you have a Netflix account because people would at least put into consideration that there is other problems out in the world besides what is going on right now in terms of Nuclear War and Politics. This is one of the movies all year besides “Logan” that I actually teared up watching because I was in such shock at the harm that people are doing to the one of most beautiful and most fascinating places in the world. In terms of a rating, I would probably give this movie a solid 8.5/10, it’s definitely not the next “Citizen Kane” or “Pulp Fiction”, but for what it was I thought it was a pretty solid movie.

More reviews to come throughout school year, burning my retinas for you!