Chaplain in the chapel

Roncalli welcomes a new priest after having four in the last four years

FEATURING%3A+Fr.+Dave+Marcotte+holds+the+consecrated+host+at+mass+during+fifth+period+study.+Fr.+Dave+gives+mass+during+a+study+period+most+days+of+the+week.+
FEATURING: Fr. Dave Marcotte holds the consecrated host at mass during fifth period study. Fr. Dave gives mass during a study period most days of the week.

Photo by Sophia Egold

Photo by Sophia Egold

Roncalli has seen a wide variety of priests over the last four years, ranging from Fr. James Wilmoth to Fr. Tim Wyciskalla, Fr. James Brockmeier, and now to the newest chaplain: Fr. Dave Marcotte.

Fr. Dave grew up in Greenfield, IN, where he attended Greenfield-Central High School.

“I thought of being a variety of things like a lawyer or police officer [when I was in high school],” Fr. Dave said. “It wasn’t until I went to IU Bloomington that I felt the calling to become a priest.”

Fr. Dave started his Catholic Studies at Marian University and completed his degree in Theology at St. Meinrad Seminary

“At college, there are a variety of people and majors,” Father Dave said. “[At] seminary school, everyone is preparing for the same lifestyle. People have the same focus as you.”

Fr. Dave now teaches Christian Adulthood at Roncalli. Fr. Dave’s main purpose at Roncalli is to teach his students about their faith in and out of the classroom, which is different from Roncalli’s most previous chaplains who have not been both a priest and teacher.

“My goal [at Roncalli] is to help draw students into deeper relationships with Jesus through ministry and teaching,” Fr. Dave said. “I want to help kids understand their faith.”

Being a teacher and priest in one school community can be strenuous, but Fr. Dave also works as the Catholic chaplain at the University of Indianapolis and the priest at St. Francis & Clare parish. Although he’s busy, Fr. Dave works on his balance between all three.

“Roncalli is my priority, so I seek to fulfill and be present as much as possible,” Fr. Dave said. “I work around 60 to 70 hours a week, but I love doing it and it doesn’t feel like work.”

Even though Fr. Dave has worked at many parishes, Roncalli is his first high school. Before Roncalli, Fr. Dave came from St. Martin of Tours in Martinsville and St. Malachy in Brownsburg.

“[The diocese] asked me if I would be willing to go to Roncalli,” Fr. Dave said, “and I said yes because I enjoy working with students.  I haven’t had the opportunity to work at a high school before, so I took it.”

Coming from a parish community to a high school community is a transition.

“For high school you’re focused on a specific age range, and it is easier to tailor, whereas at St. Francis & Clare it ranges from the elderly to toddlers,” Fr. Dave said.

Being in the priesthood runs in the family for Fr. Dave. He also has an older brother who is a priest.

“It is awesome to have a brother as a priest,” Fr. Dave said. “We have grown closer because we understand. I’d say I ask him for more advice, but we bounce ideas off each other. Often times we are happy to not talk religion. We need to get away and we have many other interests.”

Between family, hobbies, and faith, Fr. Dave is very active in and outside of Roncalli.