Guest speaker preaches on mercy

Trapuzzano explains how she forgave the man who killed her husband

SPEAKER INSPIRES CROWD: Widow Jennifer Trappuzino addresses the topic of mercy in her speech to Roncalli students and staff this morning.  Trappuzino's husband was killed in 2014, yet she insisted on forgiving the murderer.

SPEAKER INSPIRES CROWD: Widow Jennifer Trappuzino addresses the topic of mercy in her speech to Roncalli students and staff this morning. Trappuzino's husband was killed in 2014, yet she insisted on forgiving the murderer.

Photo by Dave Schrader

Photo by Dave Schrader

Forgiveness is more a conversion of yourself, not the other person.”

— Jennifer Trappuzino

Roncalli listened to the tragic and heartfelt story of  young widow Jennifer Trapuzzano this morning in the family room. Trapuzzano lost her husband in an attempted robbery in 2014, just three weeks before their first child was born.  Students were moved as Trapuzzano exemplified a strong faith life, even through the loss of her husband and co-parent.

Assistant principal for student activities Mrs. Shellie Hartford decided that Roncalli needed to hear Trapuzzano’s story of tragedy and faith when she and other staff members heard her speak last year at the Southside Catholic Business Professional Inspirational Insights breakfast.  She was moved by Trapuzzano’s message of forgiveness.

“We decided to contact [Trapuzzano] to see if she would be willing to come [to Roncalli] and speak to our students,” Hartford said. “Forgiveness is a powerful tool and message–one that needs to be heard.”

As Trapuzzano said, “Forgiveness is more a conversion of yourself, not the other person.”

Rebels were surprised to hear that Trapuzzano not only prayed for her husband’s murderer, but she forgave him despite his evident lack of remorse.  

“I’m really impressed that she thinks forgiving her husband’s murderer is simply something she has to do,” English teacher Mr. Phil Milroy said.  “That doesn’t mean it has been easy, but she knows it’s necessary.  It’s not just a nice thing to do, or a holy thing to do, or a psychologically helpful thing to do.  It’s a necessity.”

Students can use Trapuzzano’s story of forgiveness to put the upcoming year into perspective.  Especially in modern society, forgiveness is a lesson both students and staff can reexamine.  

“[Trapuzanno show[ed] how strong and powerful forgiveness can be when put into a [difficult] situation,” senior Max Linton said. “She forgave her husband’s killer–that had to have been very difficult to do.”