Filed under opinion, uncategorized

Logan Lucky

Movie Reviews by Max

Photo by Dave Schrader

Photo by Dave Schrader

“Logan Lucky” is directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars Daniel Craig, Channing Tatum, Adam Driver and Seth MacFarlane. The movie depicts two brothers attempting to pull off a heist in North Carolina during a NASCAR race. The movie does a great job at making a solid heist movie and does not go for the usual cliches like a lot of movies are doing now.

One thing the movie does really well is creating characters with different personalities. Much like the Quentin Tarantino movie “Reservoir Dogs,” the characters in the movie have different motivations and are developed in various ways. So many movies are not doing this, and it can really mess up the movie if it does not properly set up the characters much like “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.” This movie also has different characters with different skill sets like a hacker, the brains, the psycho, the getaway driver, the tough guy of the group, etc. Probably the biggest standout of the heist group in the movie is Daniel Craig as the redneck crook, Joe Bang. His great southern accent and fantastic acting gave the movie diversity and made it stand out from other movies this year.

The movie also laid out the heist in the coolest way it possibly could have. In my opinion, one of the major strong points of a heist movie is trying to make the heist realistic and not talk down to the audience with exposition and useless information. What makes the planning of the heist so great in “Logan Lucky” is that it is set up like “Ocean’s Eleven” because they go through the planning step by step in one giant scene and do not split up the plans throughout the movie.

In a heist movie, whether the characters are breaking into a casino, jewelry store, vault, or stronghold of some sort, there is always a question of, “How are they going to get out of this?” Soderbergh left that major question at the end of “Ocean’s Eleven” with a shot of Danny Ocean driving off with his crew with a mysterious car following them. It would be rude of me to spoil the ending of “Logan Lucky,” but all I am going to say is the ending leaves a lot of questions for the audience.

With all of the good things that I have mentioned, there are some weak points to the movie. The only ones that stick out to me are some of the little cliches throughout it that some audiences will probably ask themselves, “Haven’t I seen this before?” The only times I think you will be asking yourself this are probably during the big car chase scenes throughout the movie as they are not very original.

In my opinion, this is on my top 10 movies of 2017 right alongside “Baby Driver” and “John Wick: Chapter 2.” I would probably give this movie a 9/10, as it hits every beat of what a heist movie should.

More movie reviews to come throughout the school year, burning my retinas for you!