Filed under news, uncategorized

Celebrating Culture

Spanish teachers and students honor Day of the Dead

HONORING THE DEAD: Students make altars for famous people. Making altars in one of the many traditions that people do during Day of the Dead.

Photo by Ryan Brandenburg

Photo by Ryan Brandenburg

Dia de los Muertos, or “Day of the Dead,” is a holiday observed in Central and South America where families celebrate the life of deceased relatives and friends. Throughout the Roncalli Spanish department, students are doing exciting activities to celebrate and learn more about the holiday, including making posters and having fiestas.

“I’m teaching my students how to make altars,” Spanish teacher Mrs. Sara Buente said. “Also, I’m teaching them that it is on the same day as All Saints Day.”

Students throughout Roncalli seem to be enjoying the experience of celebrating a holiday that may seem a bit different than what they are used to.

“The party aspect is my favorite because it looks so fun,” senior Kaitlyn Dinkel said.

Around the world, Day of the Dead is seen as a very important holiday for families. Countries in Latin and South America see it as a time to remember those who have passed on and to look back at their lives.

Students, like Dinkel, enjoy learning about the holiday and think that it is an important cultural celebration to be observed in schools.

“It’s an important part of people’s culture,” Dinkel said. “Today’s society is getting more diverse so we need to be able to adapt and know about new cultures and traditions.”

Teachers also think that the students are enjoying the experience.

“I think the kids are interested in it,” Buente said. “A lot of them like the art aspect, and they really like the food.”

Teachers think that informing students about Day of the Dead helps them learn about Spanish culture and shows them how different traditions are celebrated around the world.

“I’ve learned that you honor the dead by having their favorite food and celebrating their life,” Dinkel said.

The celebrations and activities that the students have done have taught them more about Day of the Dead and what Hispanic culture is like. By using fun and interactive lessons and projects, students have learned about how the holiday is celebrated.