Filed under features, sports

Archers hit their target

Archery club sports rich history, growing student interest and dedicated members

TAKING+AIM%3A+Sophomores+Elliana+Aleski+and+Blake+Prather+draw+back+their+bows+during+the+long+distance+round+of+competition.+Both+students+were+involved+in+the+formation+of+the+club+back+in+2016+and+continue+to+be+strong+performers+on+the+team.+
TAKING AIM: Sophomores Elliana Aleski and Blake Prather draw back their bows during the long distance round of competition. Both students were involved in the formation of the club back in 2016 and continue to be strong performers on the team.

Photo by Nicholas Plahitko

Photo by Nicholas Plahitko

Taut strings, squinted eyes and a single target ahead. The level of focus is intense, as the aim has to be just perfect before the arrow is loosed to fly. It pierces its target with a whistle as the archer is already drawing the next bow from the quiver.

The archery club was founded just last year. It all started when a group of freshman consisting of Elliana Aleski, TJ LaMarca, Sam Meer, Seth Rose, Blake Prather and Sarah Prusa found out that Roncalli didn’t offer any opportunities to continue archery after middle school. This, in their opinion, had to change. They took their idea right to assistant principal for student activities Mrs. Shellie Hartford and gained her approval for a club; however, a moderator was still needed.

Immediately, Mr. Rob Kratoska, a teacher in the history and physical education departments, came to mind.

“I have a tie to hunting, but not archery,” said Kratoska. “I had to take a class and get trained in it.”

Even though Kratoska had never used a bow and arrow before, he was very receptive to the idea of the club and eager to coach the students.

With a moderator (also serves the role of a coach) in place, the club was ready to go. The club members now meet with Kratoska once or twice a week in the cafeteria for practice, where a target is set up and students fire arrows from competition distances of 10 and 15 meters.

The archery club competes about once every two weeks on Saturdays, and the team has shown a great deal of talent. Meer, one of the top returning shooters from last year, as well as a co-founder of the club, shot very well at the first meet.

“[I’ve been shooting bow and arrow] for six years now,” Meer said. “I started in fifth grade at Nativity.”

Meer was also involved in the kickstart of an archery club at his grade school. He became interested in the sport mostly out of curiosity when the club was formed. Like Kratoska, Meer isn’t a traditional hunter, but he does have a very fascinating method of honing his skills as an archer.

“I do 3D,” Meer said, referring to a method of archery practice.

3D involves life-sized, foam replicas of animal with certain spots that archers must hit, creating a type of simulated hunting.

Meer scored an impressive 250/300 points at this year’s first competition. The competitions are split up as follows: archers will shoot five arrows at a time before retrieving them. There are three rounds from a 10-meter distance and then three more from a 15-meter distance. Each round is worth 50 total points.

How the archers earn their points is exactly how one would expect: hitting the bullseye, which is a very challenging task, will earn the team 10 points. Every spot fanning out from the bullseye is worth one less point. The competition at the high school level is steep, as there are many skilled archers at each tournament.

This co-ed sport is a great complement to the freshman P.E. archery unit, and the club is looking to expand. The program is extremely inclusive, and, according to Kratoska, student satisfaction seems very high.

“Archery is a gateway to bringing focus in people’s lives,” Meer said. “ I think the best thing [about the sport] is going out there and knowing that you’re trying your best and bettering yourself.”