Dreading the drive on icy roads

Tips and tricks on how to drive safely when the roads are iced over

CAUTION: Coming out of school Monday morning resulted in many cars in the bubble parking lot covered in snow and ice. Many students had to dig out their car scrapers and brush off the snow and ice to be able to see on the drive home.

Photo by Sophia Egold

Photo by Sophia Egold

As Christmas break came to a halt, unfortunately, the cold weather did not leave with the festivities. The very first day of school following Christmas break resulted in many student cars sliding out of their parking spots. The cars were parked right outside the football stadium and on a slant. Since the roads were icy that day, the cars were not able to stay in their spots and slid down the parking lot during the school day. The school also had to close school Friday because the roads were not safe enough to drive on. Because of these, and other scary events that have happened to many students, new drivers are terrified to start driving in the snowy and icy weather.

The typical scene for these icy accidents is in one’s own neighborhood. Sometimes people forget that there is ice on the ground when it has not snowed for a couple days, so they drive through their neighborhoods at the speed they normally would. Junior David Johnson was very close to getting in an accident earlier this year because of the same reason many people are guilty of: driving too fast in neighborhoods when the roads are icy.

“I turn[ed] a corner, [the corner was] pretty tight, and the next thing I know I was sliding on ice,” Johnson said. “I almost hit a stop sign and went into someone’s yard.”

This same event also happened to senior Maggie Reeves, but she was not as lucky as Johnson was. She was driving home from a friend’s house when she thought the ice was melted in most places. She turned a corner, going the speed limit, and lost control.

I tried to brake really hard, which only propelled me forwards,” Reeves said. “I slid into a car parked on the side of the road, scratching the side of [the car] and destroying my wheel rotator.”

Because of these experiences, Reeves and Johnson have both learned how to drive safer when there may be a possibility of icy roads. When the situation comes to driving in neighborhoods, drivers are better off driving safer than being sorry in the long run. Driving can feel tedious when someone is driving slow, but driving slow is better than dealing with the consequences of being in an accident. For the underclassmen learning how to drive, the best tip to follow when driving on ice is to drive slow and avoid slamming on the breaks.

“If you feel yourself begin to slide, make no quick movements with the wheel because that will only spin you faster,” Reeves said. “Drive slowly, and leave lots of space.”

As the winter season continues, always remember to drive safe, wear your seatbelt and be cautious of other drivers. Driving in the snow does not have to be scary if precautions are taken.