Filed under news, uncategorized

Rebel Resolutions

Students share personal resolutions for new year

BOOM%3A+New+Years+is+assumed+to+be+the+perfect+time+to+attempt+to+keep+a+new+resolution+in+life.+However%2C+many+resolutions+are+not+kept+for+very+long.+
BOOM: New Years is assumed to be the perfect time to attempt to keep a new resolution in life. However, many resolutions are not kept for very long.

Photo by Maddie Aldrich

Photo by Maddie Aldrich

Each new year brings a time of new beginnings or resolutions for people. Some of which are kept, others forgotten through the year. A person’s resolution can tell a lot about them and their expectations for the year to come.

Resolutions started 4,000 years ago with the Babylonians, who were also the first documented to celebrate the new year. Their resolutions consisted of making promises and paying debts to the god Janus at the start of each new year.

“I like to make resolutions because it gets me out of my comfort zone right away at the start of the year,” senior Amelia Banister said.

Now, resolutions are made to better ourselves. The goal is typically to improve life in the year to come. All different types of resolutions are made. Everything from wanting to work out to saving up to buy a house are attempted to be kept.  

“I made a resolution to become more organized this year,” senior Grace Lawrie said. “I decided to do this because I just turned 18, so it’s time to act like an adult.”

Although some people may look forward to coming up with a resolution every year, some people do not understand the idea.

“I do not understand why people make resolutions if they are just going to break it anyway,” senior Evan Reid said. “I have never made a resolution in my life and do not plan on doing so.”

As the new year begins, the test of commitment is challenged. Some resolutions have already been forgotten, while others are still attempting to keep their promise.

“This year, I promised I would be more appreciative of my life and the people in it,” senior Claire Alfery said. “I’ve kept a positive attitude, which has helped me to remember the importance of my resolution.”