Competitive, stress-free sports

How CYO sports didn’t end in grade school

HEAD IN THE GAME: Senior Shane Sanneman guards his opponent at his team’s game against St. Christopher. His St. Jude team lost this game which ended their run at city.

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

Rivalries sweep the hallways, friends turn against friends, trash talking for days, and the root of all of this is CYO basketball. Many Roncalli students take part in this extracurricular activity that has grown to be immensely popular over the years. Rebels are part of teams from different parishes around the archdiocese and compete for glory.

This league gives players something to do outside of school without all of the pressure that comes with regular athletics. They are able to have fun while still having lively competition against their classmates.

“CYO is very fun for people who just want to have a good time and not take the sport too seriously,” senior Nicole Clifford said. “It makes the sport a lot more fun when it does not matter as much, and it’s fun to just go out and mess around.”

Rebels take part in this league in more ways than one. Senior Brian Hendricks is a referee for the league and works the high school CYO games.

“It is fun to be able to ref for my classmates and get paid while doing it,” Hendricks said. “I also get to meet a lot of cool [referees] and establish friendships.”

While some view the games as something to do with their free time, others take them quite seriously especially now going into the city tournament.

“Some teams do not get into the game that much, but my team does,” Clifford said. “We are very competitive, but we also like to have fun.”

Having fun is at the center of this league, but it does spark a competitive spirit within its players.