Looking at life through the lens

Snow shares passion for film, YouTube

LIGHTS%2C+CAMERA%2C+ACTION%3A+Sophomore+Angie+Snow+focuses+the+camera+before+shooting.+Snow+has+filmed+all+of+her+videos+using+her+trusty+Nikon+camera.++
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION: Sophomore Angie Snow focuses the camera before shooting. Snow has filmed all of her videos using her trusty Nikon camera.

Photo by Photo submitted

Photo by Photo submitted

Many famous YouTubers have their names plastered all over social media, from Shane Dawson to Liza Koshy, and these rising stars are influencing aspiring filmmakers to create videos. Inspired by the videos of Mikey Murphy and Julien Solomita, sophomore Angie Snow decided to go after her passion for film and start a channel of her own. Though she began releasing videos in 2016, Snow’s love for the camera started from a young age.

“[Filming] has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember, and my cousin and I used to film ‘TV shows’ with our fake cameras,” Snow said. “I grew up loving cameras, and as I got older, I became really invested in how the world looks through the camera lens.”

Snow’s YouTube channel currently has 146 subscribers. She has released eleven videos so far, including an acapella video and a “vlog” (video blog) from an Orlando trip. The clips from Snow’s videos seem to be effortlessly stitched together, but subscribers don’t see the hours put in behind the computer screen. Her videos may only be a few minutes long, but a lot of arduous work goes into the editing process.

“It takes up to three or four hours to edit, and I use iMovie on my computer,” Snow said. “[During the day], I set up my tripod and my camera, make sure I’m in frame, press record and let myself go into my happy place.”

Snow has become quite comfortable behind the camera, but she still feels nervous before clicking upload; however, with the support of her friends and family, she has remained confident in herself and her filmmaking abilities.

“[My family] is my number one support,” Snow said, “and I wouldn’t be able to do [this] without their love.”

Along with encouragement from her family, Snow also has support from her friends in the Roncalli family.

“[Angie] is the hardest working girl I know, and I’m so proud of her channel,” sophomore Emily Mulinaro said. “I hope she continues to put videos out there for everyone to enjoy.”

Snow’s videos emulate her positivity towards life and value of remaining true to herself. Her content relies on real-life events, such as her trip to Washington D.C. and a day at the mall. She focuses on spreading laughter and joy to others as well as making content that she enjoys.

“Our world is full of so much judgment, but I don’t mind what people think of me,” Snow said. “We all have to realize that we are equal, and we should build each other up, not tear each other down.

Although Snow left the YouTube scene for five months due to her busy schedule, she plans to make her triumphant return with a new video soon.

“I really do love making videos, even if I haven’t posted in forever,” Snow said. “This 2018, I’m coming back and making big moves.”

Going into the future, Snow aspires to be a director one day. She draws inspiration from Steven Spielberg, her favorite director and role model for film.

“I’ve always had the dream of being a director, but I have no idea what the future holds,” Snow said. “Whatever happens simply happens, and that’s the beauty of it.”

For now, Snow will stick to YouTube and continue doing what she loves most: filming, editing and releasing creative content.