Sophomore wrestler remains undefeated

Lowery transfers schools, starts varsity and goes 31-0

TAKING+DOWN+CONFERENCE%3A+Sophomore+Brayden+Lowery+takes+down+Guerin+Catholic+wrestler+Jon+Koscal+to+advance+further+in+the+Circle+City+Conference+Meet.+Lowery+later+ended+up+winning+his+conference.+
TAKING DOWN CONFERENCE: Sophomore Brayden Lowery takes down Guerin Catholic wrestler Jon Koscal to advance further in the Circle City Conference Meet. Lowery later ended up winning his conference.

Photo by Maddie Aldrich

Photo by Maddie Aldrich

Last year, Brayden Lowery raised eyebrows at Perry Meridian starting varsity as a freshman for the wrestling team. He placed third in the state in the 106 weight class.

This year, he’s at Roncalli.

“I decided to switch [to Roncalli] so I could be in a more faith-based environment where I could excel academically,” Lowery said.

Lowery has been wrestling off and on since he was three years old. Wrestling has become a family sport, something both his older and younger brothers do as well.  He has wrestled for multiple club teams. Even though he was at a risk of losing his sophomore wrestling season, Lowery decided to make the transfer over to Roncalli.

“I had a plan either way,” Lowery said. “I was prepared for the worst, but I hoped for the best. I knew that I had the support of my family and teammates no matter what happened.”

Despite facing adversity at the beginning of his season, nothing has stood in the way of Lowery’s remarkable success. He has an individual record of 31-0, ranking him third in the state in the 113 pound weight class. He is a Connersville Spartan Holiday Classic Champion, Marion County Champion, New Palestine Invite Champion and New Palestine Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Meet, Circle City Conference Champion, and recently became a Sectional Champion.

Lowery’s impact on the team doesn’t stop with his athletic ability, however. Lowery can be spotted on the side of the mat, cheering on other teammates. His coaches describe him as a focused and driven wrestler on the mat and a compassionate person off the mat.

“Not only is he a positive impact on the team,” sophomore teammate Tyce Freije explained, “but even off the mat at school he is always grinding to do his best which he is known for in the wrestling room as well. All around Brayden is a hard worker, leader and great teammate.”

With the regular season coming to an end, Lowery is looking to return to Bankers Life Fieldhouse for a second time at the state competition. However, Lowery’s goals go beyond the mat.

“Since the first day Brayden Lowery stepped on our campus, he has been eyes wide and ears open,” head coach Wade McClurg said. “When you take that approach into the classroom and on to the wrestling mat, then good things are going to happen.”

If his first 30 matches are any indicator, Lowery will be a sure spectacle as he advances further into the state tournament.