Filed under features, uncategorized

“Fortnite” gains popularity

Students express interest about gaming experience, give opinions on features

HIT AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE: The main menu of Fortnite allows players to start the game and create custom characters. The video game has garnered the interest of many teenagers who appreciate the ability to choose both solo or group gameplay.

Photo by Ryan Brandenburg

Photo by Ryan Brandenburg

Video games have been a popular activity since they became mainstream in the late 70s. From the arcades of the 80s to the gaming consoles of today, games have been a way for people to settle down and have fun. One game has recently captured gamers since its release, especially at Roncalli. The game is called “Fortnite,” and students have been buzzing about how entertaining and addicting it is.

“I started playing a couple weeks ago,” junior John Harris said. “My brother told me about it.”

First released in July 2017, “Fortnite” is available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. It includes Battle Royale mode, which is a 100-player Player vs. Player game where gamers fight until there is one person standing. The game is also free, which makes it more conveniently available for players.

“I play almost every night after I finish my homework,” junior Garrett Freeman said.

With the popularity of “Fortnite” rising since its release, students around school are talking about their own experiences playing the game.

“My friends told me about it, and it sounded fun,” Freeman said.

Opinions on this game are very good, and with the help of the media and great social appeal, word on “Fortnite” is spreading like wild re.

“I would definitely recommend this game to others,” freshman Joshua Wormman said. “Fortnite is easily the best free game to come out in the past year and is fun for any gamer.”

Updates in the game are very common , which means that new aspects are being added almost every week.

“The updates are awesome,” Harris said. “The hunting rifle is lit, but the mini gun is trash.”

There are also three different game modes that players can choose in Battle Royale: solo, duo and squad. Players have their own favorite modes and experiences.

“Squad is the best,” Harris said. “You’re with a bunch of friends, so even if you die you can still get carried.”

Playing with friends is always fun, and “Fortnite” is an example of how people can connect to others and play a few games.

“I think squads is the best because you can play on the same team as your friends,” Wormann said.

Students around the school are raving about how fun of a game “Fortnite” is, and with popularity for the game increasing, they will likely continue to play it. Games like “Fortnite” are changing the way video games are played with its great game play and aspects. With that, people, like Harris, Wormann and Freeman are excited to see what’s next for the game.

About the Contributor
Ryan Brandenburg, Staff Writer
Ryan Brandenburg is a junior at Roncalli. He is involved in Track & Field, Cross Country, and Choir. After high school, Ryan plans to study chemical engineering. This is his first year on staff.