Student advocates for education

Moore testifies at Indiana Statehouse for bill to allow dual enrollment

SIDE BY SIDE: Sophomore Paige Moore and her mother, who went to testify as a parent and give moral support, pose in the Indiana Statehouse. Moore said without her mom by her side, she would have been much more nervous during the trial.

Photo by Submitted

Photo by Submitted

Sophomore Paige Moore is a typical teenager. She’s involved in cross country and plenty of
clubs, and she has homework on top of all her extracurriculars. Just like any other student, she’s missed school for doctor’s appointments, dentist visits and the occasional sick day; however, several weeks ago, Moore had a different excuse for skipping class: visiting the Indiana Statehouse.

When I asked Paige why she wouldn’t be at school, I wasn’t expecting the response I received,” history teacher Mr. Kevin Banich said. “I’ve never had a student tell me they were testifying before our legislature, and I could not have been more excited for her.”

Advocating for students whose needs aren’t fully met, Moore has been pushing for House Bill 1420 to be passed. This bill allows students in private schools to have dual enrollment with Indiana School for the Deaf or Indiana School for the Blind. Working closely with State Representative Bob Behning, he wanted to ensure that Moore, along with other private school attendees, could academically reach their full potentials.

“She wanted to still attend Roncalli, and it was either change the law or change schools,” Behning said. “So we chose to change the law.”

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018, the bill was passed. Without Moore’s persistence and dedication in favor of the bill, dialogue about private school access to Indiana School for the Deaf would’ve been postponed.

“[Moore] is the only student who advocated for [the bill],” Behning said. “If the bill hadn’t passed this year, it would have to be reintroduced next January, and the process would start over again.”

Having been diagnosed with Meniere’s disease at age four, Moore has completely lost hearing in her right ear and partially in her left, which has created hardships throughout her high school career. Her teachers wear a microphone that sends sound straight to her hearing aids, but the system is not always effective. When teachers mumble or cover their mouths, Moore has a hard time deciphering what has been said. She also struggles working with groups in class where numerous students are all speaking at once.

“If it wasn’t for her determination to stay at Roncalli, we wouldn’t be discussing this possibility of dual enrollment,” Banich said.

Because of her hardship, Moore even considered switching schools to have the split schedule opportunity, which was a difficult decision on her part. Starting over at a public school would mean new friends, teachers and classes, but Moore decided that she loved the Roncalli family too much to leave.

“I was going to transfer fully into Indiana School for the Deaf,” Moore said, “but we realized you can’t beat Roncalli’s education. I was then going to switch to [Franklin Central], but I had so many friends and good teachers here, [and] I didn’t want to lose all of that.”

Despite the adversity she faces daily, Moore is still pursuing a high level education. With dreams of attending an Ivy League school, she is determined to get the best schooling possible, which is attainable now that the bill has been passed.

“Paige deals with challenges that not everyone has to overcome,” Banich said, “but she won’t let anything stop her because of her love for Roncalli. It’s Paige’s story and determination that will make the difference for many students.”

Later this year, in either April or May, a ceremony will take place where the governor of Indiana will sign House Bill 1420. Moore will be invited to witness the momentous event as requested by Behning, who regards her as a strong advocate.

Though the bill has been passed, it will not be in effect until July 1. Until then, Moore is focusing on her studies and making the most out of her busy  days left at Roncalli.

About the Writer
Kara House, Staff Writer

Kara House is a junior at Roncalli. She in involved in Linus Club and Earth Club. After high school, Kara plans to study in the medical field. This is her first year on staff. Kara enjoys taking naps on the daily.