Filed under features, uncategorized

Schutte’s spectacular

JUST LIKE NEW: Junior Henry Schutte cleans his trumpet for his next band practice. Instruments like this will be gathered from local musicians in the Indianapolis area to be refurbished.

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

Achieving the rank of “Eagle Scout” is not only a major milestone in a Boy Scout’s life, but also serves as a monument to his work ethic and multi-talented abilities, especially when considering that only 4 percent of all Scouts have actually attained the honor. Some of the prerequisites for this award include earning 21 different merit badges (which are received by completing character-building tasks), completing a lengthy essay and, most importantly, completing a community service project. These projects range in size, from constructing benches and fences to more elaborate service projects, and junior Henry Schutte is looking to do something that is unique to his talents.

“I’m trying to put on a concert in May to make money for cleaning up and fixing instruments that I’m going to collect from the Indianapolis area to eventually send down to a school in Jamaica,” Schutte said.

Schutte, now being a three year member of Roncalli’s Jazz Band, Concert Band, Marching Band, and Pep Band, has close ties to band director Ms. Kathy Peach, from whom the idea of donating instruments to Jamaica came from.

“I started a music program about 30 years ago at a school called Sam Sharpe Teachers college,” Peach said. “I only lived there for about a year, but I try to visit every other year to see friends and former students.”

When Peach visits Jamaica, she brings along Rebel students involved in any instrumental or band with her. Band students take the trip every other year, and Schutte is attending the trip next year to see the results his project has yielded.

“The trip next year starts literally the day after graduation, so I’m excited to enjoy my first day as a graduate down in Jamaica,” Schutte said.

The concert that funds this operation will be put on by the Roncalli Jazz and concert bands along with some local professionals performing solos. Once Schutte submits his roughly 12 page long essay detailing the purpose of this project along with the financial statement to the Eagle Board (based downtown) to be judged as legitimate project, he will be given the greenlight to proceed.

Schutte is currently working on this project and says that his concert will be held around the middle of May at an undecided location within the local area. The money going towards the recycled instruments are all being donated to Herbert Morrison Technical, a school near Sam Sharpe Teachers College which Peach has connections to.

About the Contributor
Nick Perkins, Staff Writer

Nick Perkins is a junior at Roncalli. He is in involved in Cross Country, Tack, and AP Art. After high school, Nick plans to attend IU to study political science. This is his 2nd year on staff. He likes debating and being a patriot to his country.