Dancing for six straight hours

Students lead dance marathon, funds Riley Children’s

MONEY FTK: Executive dancers proudly display the money raised after hours of non-stop dancing. SDDM raised over $14,000 for Riley Children’s Hospital.

Photo by Megan Ruth

Photo by Megan Ruth

On April 29, 2018, over 50 students will be dancing for six straight hours for those who cannot. This philanthropic event will be put on by South Deanery Dance Marathon (SDDM), which supports Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana. This energetic experience which is FTK (for the kids) is a combination of dancing, games, snacks and crafts all rolled into one six hour service opportunity.

“The money raised from dance marathons impacts the lives of thousands of Riley patients and puts smiles on all of {the children’s} faces,” senior Kathleen Soller said, “It makes an already great hospital even better.”

This organization is run by senior Megan Ruth, along with 22 other “executive dancers” who help coordinate the dance marathon as well as all the pre-fundraising. Pre-fundraising includes “percent nights” at specific restaurants, where students and their families can go eat at places such as Chipotle, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ella’s Frozen Yogurt and Chick Fil A and a percentage of their dinner costs goes directly to the funds being raised for Riley children.  

However, this year has raised a significantly less amount of money than in year’s past. Over the years, the money raised as well as student participation has continued to decline. To Ruth, it appears Rebels no longer care about SDDM. However, students seem to forget two students reaped the benefits of Riley Children’s Hospital while continuing to go to school.

Soller, along with senior Shane Moylan, has spent a fair amount of time in the cancer ward of Riley Children’s Hospital. Money raised from schools like Roncalli who host Dance Marathons can benefit many different aspects of the hospital.

Soller was able to stay in a newly renovated room as Riley doctors saved her life, which was funded by dance marathon money. These doctors became both Moylan and Soller’s best friends, as well as role models.