Filed under uncategorized

Undefeated underdogs

Rebel Girls Lacrosse takes back to back wins in round robin at Lafayette

Back to Article
Back to Article

Undefeated underdogs

STICK TOGETHER: The girls lacrosse team celebrate after tying Carmel 2-2. This was the first time the Lady Rebels had tied another team.

The girls lacrosse team traveled to Lafayette on Saturday, May 12 to compete in a round robin against Elkhart and Lafayette Harrison. With this being the girls’ first year on the field, they faced off against experienced teams, and nerves ran rampant amongst the players.

Going into the tournament, the Rebel lacrosse girls had lost six games and tied 2-2 with Carmel. In a stellar performance versus Elkhart, the team came out victorious with a 12-1 win. Sophomore Julia Gorski led the team scoring 4 points for the Lady Rebels. Also scoring for the team was senior Olivia Shaul, juniors Maggie Stanley and Abby Leister, sophomores Ellianna Aleski, Lydia Shock, and Maddie Aldrich, as well as freshmen Katie Comer and Lindsey Benson. Comer also had two assists and Aleski had one, contributing to the Rebel sweep.

“The most important part of working together as a team is each of us doing our own jobs to the best of our ability and helping others when they need it,” team captain and junior Kaylee TenBarge said.

With adrenaline rushing from the previous game, the team was able to pull out another miraculous win against Lafayette Harrison, defeating them 7-4. Gorski also led the team this round scoring three goals. Senior Kathleen Soller aided the victory with one goal, as well as Stanley with two goals.

“That win was the most exciting part of the season,” TenBarge said. “[Winning] two games in a row really showed us how far we had come.”

Though the girls lacrosse team started out with a rocky record, they were able to complete the season with back to back wins, and plan to come back even stronger next year.