Filed under news, uncategorized

Smash Spectacular

Small crowd of Rebels participate in school wide Super Smash Bros. tournament

HUMBLE CHAMP: Junior Gabe Buening poses with his trophy in celebration of his victory. Buening took home first place in the Melee bracket of the tournament.

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

On Monday May the 14th, following the final bell, around 30 students amassed in the auditorium and the green room of the Fine Arts wing to compete for both bragging rights and a large plastic trophy. Their sport: Super Smash Bros. Smash is a fast-paced 2D fighting game developed by Hal Laboratory and Nintendo. The roster of playable characters include iconic Nintendo mascots such as Mario, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong with the occasional non-nintendo character. Unlike most 2D fighting games which have a health bar, Smash’s gameplay involves players knocking opponents off the screen, in any of the four directions. This “kick em’ off the platform” formula of gameplay makes for an exciting game and captivating spectacle to non-playing viewers.

There have been four titles in the series, but all have about the same gameplay. The tournament utilized two of these game. The 2001 Gamecube title “Super Smash Bros. Melee” and the 2014 Wii U game “Super Smash Bros. 4.” These two are widely considered the best of the smash” series and deemed worthy of tourney play by the competitive “Smash” community. The tourney was thought up by junior Matt Simms and overseen by video game club moderator Mr. Phillip Anderson, who also purchased the trophies for the event.

“I started the tourney because I knew we had a large following of competitive Smash Bros and I thought it would bring more competitive spirit to the video game club,” Simms said.

Tournament results include sophomore Devon Donnelly winning the Super Smash Bros. 4 tournament, while junior Gabe Buening, who has been apart of the competitive smash scene for 2 years now, winning the Melee bracket.

“I started Freshman year after getting destroyed by Jack [Bauer] at swim practice,” Buening said.

The event garnered more attention than the video game club could have ever predicted and allowed for exciting matches between the most proficient of players who, previously, never had a spotlight for their obscure set of skills.

About the Contributor
Nick Perkins, Staff Writer
Nick Perkins is a junior at Roncalli. He is in involved in Cross Country, Tack, and AP Art. After high school, Nick plans to attend IU to study political science. This is his 2nd year on staff. He likes debating and being a patriot to his country.