Filed under news, showcase

Teaching in a new setting

Mrs. Smith now teaches Nutrition and Wellness in the Providence House

STUDYING STUDENTS: Students in fifth period take a seat to listen to Mrs. Smith explain the images on the projector. They will later turn in a study guide in preparation for their upcoming test.

Photo by Abby Leister

Photo by Abby Leister

The Providence House is the first house on the right side of La Salle Street, home of fifth and sixth-period Nutrition and Wellness classes. This is the new setting for the class which was previously taught in room 109. Now, the class has a homier feel as the students learn about food in a place where it will be best applied- at home.

Sophomore Chloe Clawson enjoys this set up for the course.

“The [Providence] House is better for a Nutrition and Wellness class, but not for a traditional class,” Clawson said.

And with such a small size, the class is a perfect fit.

“There are 14 people in my period,” sophomore Gracie Holok stated, “and there is just enough space for us to have room at the tables.”

The Providence House has enough space and all the tools necessary to serve this course efficiently. This location is still able to host the infamous “Tasting Tuesdays”, complete with mostly donated dishes, utensils, and toasters. “Tasting Tuesdays” are Tuesdays when the class tries something healthy, like vegetables, which can be found in two small gardens in the backyard.  The house still has aspects of a traditional classroom, like a projector, router, and speaker for announcements, while including perks like an extra minute of leeway to and from the class and no hall passes, since the bathroom is just down the hall.

The teacher of the course, Mrs. Jenny Smith, also enjoys the layout of the house, although it does not seem like much on the outside.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” Smith told her students.

She went into great detail about the renovations and layout for the Providence House. The section of the house that the students primarily learn in had a wall that initially split the room in half.

Since the renovations, the separation wall has been knocked down, leaving more space for students to work, plus painted walls and a redone floor and ceiling. Students utilize the new space for cooking, learning, and bonding with classmates in the comfort of home.