Succession planning at Roncalli

Kevin Banich as the newest vice principal of student activities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Succession planning at Roncalli

GOOD MORNING RONCALLI: New vice principal Mr. Kevin Banich addresses the school on the announcements. Banich has taken over this role which used to be a responsibility of Mrs. Shellie Hartford

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

Mr. Kevin Banich recently took the position as Roncalli’s vice principal of student activities after former vice principal for student activities, Mrs. Shellie Hartford, moved to Florida. Banich says he took the position because he enjoys it and believes the position is one of the best jobs in the building.

“It is a honor to be the voice and advocate for the students,” Banich said.

Principal Mr. Chuck Weisenbach describes the process Banich went through as “succession planning.” Succession planning is when an organization identifies someone who is qualified to replace an employee who is leaving.

“[Banich] was named last January and was able to spend the whole second semester with [Hartford], learning the ropes,” Weisenbach said.

Banich mentioned how the position of vice principal is unique because the job was created by Mrs. Hartford and she based it off her strengths and weaknesses. At first, Banich’s job was hard for him and he said there were many challenges when first working by himself full time.

“Trying to fill a legend’s shoes is challenging,” Banich said.

Hartford now resides in St. Augustine, Florida where she has accepted a principal position at Christ’s Church Academy.