Filed under features, showcase

New “Tomorrow” is here

Tutoring facility receives money from Lenten Almsgiving project, buying a new building

NEW+FACILITY%3A+Over+30+students+ranging+from+kindergarten+to+8th+grade+receive+homework+help.+The+new+Hope+for+Tomorrow+facility+holds+over+80+students%2C+almost+double+the+amount+of+the+old+facility.+
NEW FACILITY: Over 30 students ranging from kindergarten to 8th grade receive homework help. The new Hope for Tomorrow facility holds over 80 students, almost double the amount of the old facility.

Last year, the Roncalli campus ministry team chose the non-profit organization Hope for Tomorrow to reap the benefits of the Lenten Almsgiving Project. Around $14,000 was raised to support this organization.

Hope for Tomorrow is a non-profit organization that offers tutoring for students from kindergarten through eighth grade. Hope also offers workshops to help those preparing for their U.S. Citizenship test. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, multiple volunteers varying from high school and college students to former and current teachers, gather from 6-7 p.m, providing remedial support for students in various subjects.

When Mr. Jeff Traylor, director of campus ministry, met with Justin Thang, the founder and executive director of the organization, Traylor said he was “completely overwhelmed with his passion for the organization and the personal story he shared.”

Traylor was struck by Thang’s unique story and felt as if it spoke directly to the Roncalli mission statement of making all people feel welcome and as if they belong.

“I felt as if the Holy Spirit was calling me towards them due to the positive impact we can make on their organization and how our community can be positively impacted by them,” Traylor said.

Through the money donated, the agency was able to expand to a new office that provides much more space and storage. The agency also purchased new supplies and other materials needed for the students, along with the maintenance of the building.

The bigger facility is more equipped to handle three times the amount of students they were able to serve at their old building. The new facility is also in a more central location, which additionally is a much safer area.

Along with monetary gain, Hope for Tomorrow also gained multiple new volunteers, including students and teachers, from the Rebel Lenten Service Project.

Grace Albertson, RHS ‘17, is one of the after school data coordinators for the program.

“Honestly, the money is such a blessing, but the greatest gift has been the support we have received from the Roncalli community regarding our mission,” Albertson said, “and the amazing individuals from Roncalli that choose to give of their precious time.