Filed under news

Milking some money

Dairy Bar and XC joint operation generates money and bonding

THE GRIND: Rebels clean up crumbs and grease as the day winds down. Despite about 6 hours of standing, work ethic was ensured by workers shouting

THE GRIND: Rebels clean up crumbs and grease as the day winds down. Despite about 6 hours of standing, work ethic was ensured by workers shouting "moo" every couple of minutes.

Photo by Nick Perkins

Photo by Nick Perkins

State fair season breeds all kinds of interesting deep-fried delights from food trucks and stands around the fairgrounds. However, all are mere pawns when compared to their big brother counterpart, the “Dairy Bar.” This non-movable, dome-shaped structure sells all kinds of State Fair tier dairy snacks (excluding applesauce) such as ice cream, mozzarella sticks, and grilled cheese. While they soak up quite a fortune from fair-goers, they also give back a lot of the profit through a joint operation with school extracurricular groups around Indiana. For the past 14 years, the Rebel cross country and swim teams have used this cash to fund part of their season because their school-given budget is limited.

“We usually get around $1,000,” boys cross country coach Jeff Buckley said, “Gatorade, team food, clothing and equipment like bands and rollers. Covers anything not in the budget. Our regular budget is $2000, which covers meet entries, bus driver fees, and a few minor expenses.”

While at the Bar, athletes are given snack bar-like duties such as forging grilled cheese sandwiches, manning the cashier, and loading up cups with milkshakes. The small, sweaty space of the bar not only generated massive amounts of heat, but also gallons of team spirit.

“Michael Runholt would hoot and holler while working, he kept trying to get everybody to scream moo,” junior Ryan Flick said. “I think it made us work more efficiently.”

Athletes such as junior Sam George found interactions with people outside of the cross country team just as eventful.

“It was interesting to see all different kinds of people come and all want the Inside-Out sandwich. We sold out fast,” George said.

The teams couldn’t survive without Dairy Bar dough powering their season, or at least not efficiently, and the experience doubles as an adequate team bonding event.

About the Contributor
Nick Perkins, Staff Writer
Nick Perkins is a junior at Roncalli. He is in involved in Cross Country, Tack, and AP Art. After high school, Nick plans to attend IU to study political science. This is his 2nd year on staff. He likes debating and being a patriot to his country.