Filed under features, showcase

Dressed to impress

Well-rounded Rebels win homecoming Queen and Mr. Rebel

ROYAL+SMILES-+Sarah+Gantner+smiles+shockingly+as+she+hears+her+name+called+for+Homecoming+Queen.+Gantner+was+one+of+seven+senior+girls+eligible+for+the+crown.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dressed to impress

ROYAL SMILES- Sarah Gantner smiles shockingly as she hears her name called for Homecoming Queen. Gantner was one of seven senior girls eligible for the crown.

Photo by Julie Albertson

Photo by Julie Albertson

Photo by Julie Albertson

Standing on the fence of the student section during the homecoming game, senior Sarah Gantner led her peers in cheers, decked out in red, white and blue. Senior Dominic Conover was socializing amongst the crowd, getting multiple compliments on his tailored blue suit, paired with an eccentric red tie.

Gantner walked into the homecoming game wearing every piece of red, white, and blue clothing she owned. After being asked a million times why she wasn’t in her dress, she stated that she would be changing into her dress before halftime. Known to all grades because of her loud cheering at every single football game, Gantner stayed true to her character in supporting “her team” first.

For those who know Conover, it was no surprise he came to the homecoming dance Saturday evening  decked out in an elaborate suit, which featured maroon skinny fitting slacks with a blue patterned shirt.

However, there is more to these two high achieving students than their typical outfits. Gantner and Conover both are heavily involved in both the school community as well as their own communities.

Gantner is a wrestling manager, member of the psychology club, coach to younger girls gymnastics, and works part time at Chicago’s Pizza. She hopes to pursue a career in psychology.

”I want a job where I have the opportunity to influence [people] in a positive light, and help others see just how amazing they can be.” Gantner said. “I plan on doing something I love and get to do everyday, rather than have to do.

“I just felt so loved! I was shocked people picked me, and I am so thankful!” Gantner said.  

Dominic Conover is involved in a grocery list of extracurriculars, while juggling a strenuous course load filled with multiple honors and AP classes. He is involved in Student Council as the Co-President of Spirit, member of Shelly’s Voice Advocacy Group, and works part time at Pico D’Gallo. After high school, Conover plans to study pre-law, eventually attending law school.

After winning Mr. Rebel for the class of 2018, Conover said. “The student body definitely made me feel loved and supported as I try and face a very challenging time in my life.”

Both Conover and Gantner perfectly embody what it means to be a Roncalli Rebel.